Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Crapshoot

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #2211 by konza63
Given what has transpired lately, including yesterday's abrupt shift in another direction, I'm beginning to wonder if Coach's pre-game assessment of how to manage the non-Ellis front court minutes doesn't look something like this at this stage:

Or maybe that's off. Maybe it's more like this:

Brace yourselves for Ames...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by konza63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #2217 by NotOstertag
I think that despite all of our amateur second guessing, he's been pretty clear on it. Landon's the guy because he feels that he's the best option defensively and for rebounding to counter the other team's biggest guy. He's clearly thinking Bragg is further along than Diallo, and Mickleson for whatever reason is riding pine.

As I've said a billion times before, none of us are at practices, and we get to see 80 minutes of play every week compared to the 20-30 hours that the staff gets to see. Along with that, we're kept in the dark in regard to injury/health status and all kinds of other info.

Newell's story last week of Diallo making mistakes (along with the video analysis) is a perfect example of how in the dark we fans are. I know that I didn't know that the "2 sides" play involves a fake to the left corner and then a pass back to the right. The fact that Diallo consistently did it wrong was something I certainly wouldn't have picked up on. I doubt I'm alone in being relatively in the dark as to what most plays are supposed to look like until after they're run, and are making player assessments based more on ability to set good screens, move away from the ball, get open, box out, move feet, and other more individual things.

I also think that even some of the statistical stuff isn't 100% telling. Talking specifically about Traylor here in that despite some of the negative numbers, I do believe that he adds a level of intensity and experience that Bragg (too tentative), Diallo (too raw) and the others don't deliver.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling, Wheatstate Gal

More
8 years 2 months ago #2219 by Bayhawk
".. . we're kept in the dark in regard to injury/health status and all kinds of other info."

"The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."

Thought for the day,

RC ;)

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag