Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Notable positives today...

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 3 months ago #2176 by konza63
It's been a tough, negative week, so I just wanted to highlight some things that went well today:

* We shot free throws at an exceptional clip, after an abysmal stretch in that department
* Perry stepped up and really rocked, including key adjustments moving outside when the inside game wasn't there
* Frank the junkyard dog got his mojo back. Big-freaking-time. If he isn't too beat up.
* Graham re-set himself after a very rough start and contributed nicely.
* Selden pulled out of a really big rut (including the start of this game, when it appeared he had ingested quaaludes) and showed some game and real fire.
* We DEFENDED pretty well once we got our act together. Isaiah didn't go off on us because we blocked his penetration with sound 1:1 defense (staying wide, "sitting down," keeping our eyes on his chest and not his eyes, and moving our feet)
* We refused to lose in our house, even when it initially looked like an embarrassing beat-down was underway.

I still think we stink at the 5 position...oops, I'm keeping this post all positive. So scratch that thought.

Nice win. Despite our warts and uncertainties, we're in a multi-team tie for the Big 12 lead. Keep sawing wood, and survive and advance.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 3 months ago #2177 by Bayhawk
But did you see that "Win or die trying" attitude?

I saw a glimpse of it . . .

Thanks for your good post,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 3 months ago #2178 by LKF_HAWK
When you get sick, the recovery is almost never instantaneous. KU appears to have a massive hangover from the OU game, slowly but surely they are getting well. Let's see Monday, how they play in Ames, ISU does not play D...maybe Hawks can get into a track meet and steal a road win

More
8 years 3 months ago #2179 by Bayhawk
Yeah baby!!!

RC

-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #2181 by Senex68
We were 15-47 from 2. Repeat that a few times and then swallow hard, because we aren't going to win really tough games with that kind of shooting. Our 'fives' scored 2 points. Two! And 4 of our 5 starters played 35-39 minutes. For a team with a very tough game on Monday, that's a lot of minutes.

Right now we're still on the razor's edge. No offense from the 5s, and too many minutes for Frank, Graham and Selden. I'm still concerned, perhaps even worried.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Senex68.

More
8 years 3 months ago #2182 by DrJHawker
We need the light to come on for Diallo. Some of us had very high expections for the McD MVP. Now they look clearly unrealistic but there is still clearly so much potential in this young man. I know we need to play our best at the time if we hope to win the Big 12. But if Diallo doesn't get minutes I don't know that the light will come on for him this year. We are so weak at the five and have so much potential sitting on the bench. Without getting stronger at the five our potential as a team is limited.

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 3 months ago #2184 by konza63
Senex: 15 of 37 from 2, actually, but I get your point.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 3 months ago #2185 by Bayhawk
In the house that Wilt built,

RC

-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 3 months ago #2197 by LasJayhawk
One other positive I can take. Bayhawker and I moved west to locations where people have no clue what a snow shovel is. Konza on the other hand...

:)

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith

More
8 years 3 months ago #2199 by Bayhawk
"Snowshovel": n. A small spoon worn as a pendant.

No?

RC

-- Jules Michelet

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 3 months ago #2202 by HawkErrant
:woohoo:

TMI, Bay, TMI.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"