Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

CD and the learning curve.

• MountainHawk
  • MountainHawk's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #2074 by MountainHawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 3 months ago #2078 by HawkErrant
Learn, baby, learn!

Thanks, MH!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 3 months ago #2081 by konza63
HE, whether intentional or not, I now can't shake "Disco Inferno" from playing in my head. :dry:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
8 years 3 months ago #2083 by NotOstertag
Great explanation and something to look for moving forward. I'd wager that if you went back to previous seasons as Embiid or Alexander were struggling for minutes, you'd see similar issues (maybe on different plays, but similar lack of execution).

Thanks for sharing.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 3 months ago #2086 by konza63
That's a good video breakdown, as far as it goes. But it strikes me as cherry-picking at its worst, in some ways, in that Newell only chose to focus on what Diallo did wrong, rather than what he did fairly well in the game.

I would also add that I find it FAR more egregious when a 4-year player like Traylor makes mistake after mistake after mistake, yet still gets so many minutes at the expense of the two younger players with far more upside.

Diallo has had very little time on the court, and he's going to have to work his way through some growing pains. Same with Bragg. I sincerely wish they'd been allowed to do that during the non-conference schedule, rather than now, but if we're not going to play much Mickelson then we'd best just suck it up and keep sticking with it, IMO.

PS: on the non-con point, the thing that sticks in my craw is that Diallo and Bragg weren't even seeing the floor in massive blowouts against non-con patsies like UC-Irvine. That was our last non-conference warmup game, and we beat them like a drum, 78-53. And yet, Diallo and Bragg only garnered 8 and 9 minutes, respectively.

That's on Coach. Pure and simple.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.