Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

New Big 12: Divisions. Yes or no?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
2 years 7 months ago #27471 by HawkErrant
The prevailing thought I keep reading is the B12 returns to divisional play.

Personally I would rather forego divisions.

Hoops
Play 2x11= 22 conference hoops games, leaving 9 noncon openings each 31 game season.

CFB
In a 12 team conference you aren’t going to play everyone else every year unless you want to limit nonconference games to 1 a season in a 12 game season. Personally I have no issues with this, as I have no issues with adopting a 14 game season (yeah, I know, but I don’t care), but realistically neither is going to happen.

So if you opt for 9 conference games to allow 3 noncons in a 12 game regular season, you program scheduling on a sliding model so that every team plays every other team 9 times each 11 years. You say Rivalry games must be played every year? I say no, rivalries have been tossed aside any way in this realignment mess, so give it a rest for two years in a row every 11 years to simplify scheduling. If two programs absolutely insist on playing each other every season, for two years out of 11 that rivalry game takes the place of one of their 3 noncon games. Simple. And yes, those teams would get one more conference game that season.

At the end put the two teams with the best records in league against each other for the conference title. That would address the issue of unequal # of games played if one team played a “nonconRivalry” game that season.

IF you simply must have divisions, I would opt for this …

WEST
KU KSU BYU OSU TCU TT
EAST
ISU CINN WVU UCF UH BU

Splits the Texas schools 2 each.

Thoughts (aside from not wanting to be in this rump conference; it’s a lifeboat, hope it gets KU to strong and stable shores in the near future)? Thanks

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.