Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

New Big 12 members?

• rainyhawk
  • rainyhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
2 years 7 months ago #27447 by rainyhawk
Just read in a couple,of places that expansion would likely include BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF. I don’t know enough about this to figure out if this keeps the conference in the power 5 or not nor whether or not this does anything for KU BB. Thoughts from those smarter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
2 years 7 months ago #27448 by AZhawk87
I know nothing about what’s going on, but I don’t believe anything I’m hearing. I suspect everyone but the SEC is weighing all options, and things like alliances or expansion is just talk right now.

I do feel like an expanded Big 8 would be an inferior second class league. But maybe that’s where we belong until we can win more than one FB game a season.

More
2 years 7 months ago #27453 by CorpusJayhawk
I'm totally with you AZ. I am not privy to the gory details and issues that are driving all this realignment. Of course, it is pretty well broadcast that lurking in the nucleus of this are the green protons of dollar bills and the red neutrons of winning (so alums will bombard the schools with more green protons). But there are also a myriad of electrons orbiting this nucleus such as the electron of tradition, the electron of academic standards and so forth. But there are a lot more electrons orbiting that I have come to realize I do not have much understanding of. In any case, the scuttlebutt on ESPN and other places is that BYU, UCF, Houston and Cincy are about to formally request being added to the Big 12. At this point, I am fine with this. I mean from a KU standpoint, football can't get any worse and I lean strongly into thinking that basketball will not suffer no matter what. So what difference does it make really. And if you try to measure up the residual Big 8 plus the 4 additions mentioned above, that looks to be a pretty formidable basketball conference. I mean if you look at Texas and OU compared to Houston and BYU it is pretty much a wash over the last couple years. Actually, in my DPPI Ranking average over the last 5 seasons, BYU and Houston have ranked an average of 35th while OU and Texas have ranked an average of 40th. And Cincy has average ranked 36th over the last 11 seasons and 43rd over the last 5 seasons. UCF is a work in progress and would certainly be the bottom dweller but was a NCAA tourney team in 2019 and has definitely been steadily improving. So there is a decent shot that the new Big 12, if it comes to fruition, could be a reasonably powerhouse basketball conference.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, wardhawk

More
2 years 7 months ago #27454 by AZhawk87
My crystal ball says ultimately Big10 will take KU and ISU, and the B8 will add the schools you mentioned to get to ten teams. That saves the KStates, WVUs and TCUs of the world that may have nowhere to go.

What I really don't understand is why the academic ranking of a school plays such a big role in structuring of athletic conferences. I guess it's nice to know academics still has a place in college sports, but I don't get the relevance to why an AAU ranking would benefit schools looking for billions of dollars in TV money for their athletic teams.

Anyone out there with insight into this, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

More
2 years 7 months ago #27457 by Kong
I really don't get this. The Big 12 has failed. Let it go. Hold UT and OU's feet to the fire. Pretend it is business as usual and when they leave for the SEC enforce the 70-80 million dollar penalty. Split the money. Fold up tents and move to the next stage of life. Hopefully for KU it would be the Big 10, but who knows.

Adding more teams to only fail in a year or two makes no sense and really isn't fair to those teams either.

Just my $.02

Visualize Whirled Peas

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
2 years 7 months ago #27458 by HawkErrant

Kong wrote: I really don't get this. The Big 12 has failed. Let it go. Hold UT and OU's feet to the fire. Pretend it is business as usual and when they leave for the SEC enforce the 70-80 million dollar penalty. Split the money. Fold up tents and move to the next stage of life. Hopefully for KU it would be the Big 10, but who knows.

Adding more teams to only fail in a year or two makes no sense and really isn't fair to those teams either.

Just my $.02

While I agree that the Big 12 has indeed failed as a major conference, the black & white reality we are reading in the media and from supposedly "sourced" alums is that there is currently no action to expand by any of the B1G, ACC or Pac12. I keep reading that when those conferences do decide to expand again that KU is near if not at the top of the list for best next program to add. I also keep reading that nothing more is expected to happen with those conferences until the OUT move has happened, which by contract and announcement would not be until the summer of 2025..

With no place to go and at most 4 more years before OUT and their money are gone, the remaining best option is to build up the Big 12 conference so that KU has a home that is better than all the other non-A4 conferences AND DO WELL IN IT.

If a door opens in 2025, KU needs to be prepared, and given the landscape this is the best way to do that. Solid if non-glamorous competition in both the revenue sports in the interim, time to improve the resume in football, both on and off the field, and a fallback, albeit less desirable position, potentially at the top of what would rate out as the lowest A5 conference, should that door never materialize.

FTR, I'm hoping KU will be playing in the B1G once 2025 rolls in.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
2 years 7 months ago #27460 by Kong
I understand what you are saying I just don't get the point here.

OU and UT signed their rights through 2025. They have accepted another conference next year. Next year they will begin playing in the SEC and will have to buy out the league from their rights.

At that point one could say that they have broken the Big 12 and then let folks go to other conferences without any penalty. If things are as you and others seem to think that KU is a gem to be had, then let someone take us. If KU isn't then I would rather know sooner rather than later and either expand to 12 then or move on.

This is death by a thousand cuts with no real alteration of things in site by this kind of expansion. Either we are desirable or we are not.

And there is no way, in my opinion, that the proposed alignment is worthy of any Power 5 consideration, so again, what it the point.

I guess if there is no home for us in the Power 5 conferences we might as well be in a group that does want us, but this all seems silly to me.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #27461 by Illhawk
I would have liked this to play out in two or three quick moves after UT OU bolted, with our future affiliation set by now. The Big Ten was my preference, but I could have acclimated to the Conference of Champions. Once the Pac 12 announced that they were not expanding at this time I figured that it might drag most of the way to 2025. Maybe that works in the Hawks long run favor?

A few years allows time to get football up to mediocre maybe a run of 4-8, 3-9, 6-6 ?
The NCAA might finally declare victory and retreat .
Adding some decent football schools , some with basketball tradition, might leave the :left behind" teams more willing to let KU move?
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Illhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #27463 by HawkErrant

Kong wrote: I understand what you are saying I just don't get the point here.

OU and UT signed their rights through 2025. They have accepted another conference next year. Next year they will begin playing in the SEC and will have to buy out the league from their rights.

At that point one could say that they have broken the Big 12 and then let folks go to other conferences without any penalty. If things are as you and others seem to think that KU is a gem to be had, then let someone take us. If KU isn't then I would rather know sooner rather than later and either expand to 12 then or move on.

This is death by a thousand cuts with no real alteration of things in site by this kind of expansion. Either we are desirable or we are not.

And there is no way, in my opinion, that the proposed alignment is worthy of any Power 5 consideration, so again, what it the point.

I guess if there is no home for us in the Power 5 conferences we might as well be in a group that does want us, but this all seems silly to me.

1. OUT have stated they are staying Big 12 through their obligations, leaving in summer 2025. I doubt OUT will stay that long, but right now the cost of leaving summer 2022 — exit fees equal to two years of conference shares as if they would be staying *and* GOR penalties that amount to leaving up to three years worth of media rights — is talked about as being too big even for tu (the richest school in NCAA D1 from what I’m reading), let alone OU.

2. Even if OUT came up with the $ and left summer 2022, everything I have read indicates that given the current situation the Remaining 8 believe that adding these 4 programs — the only ones that “move the needle” for them — is their best bet to insure they have seats in the best available conference come 2025. Accordingly they are not going to opt to dissolve the Big 12 — and lose all that OUT $$ they can use to soften the blow through at least summer 2025 — unless and until enough of the Remaining 8 have landing sites lined up. Since any move other than to the B1G or the SEC or the ACC or the Pac12 is considered a HUGE step down from even the proposed Big 12 *and* none of the Big 4 conferences are presently planning to expand, those schools — including KU — are building a fallback position to ensure their survival at the best available levels.

When the Big 4 decide to expand, all bets are off. For now, an expanded B8/12 is the only boat available for the Remaining 8.

3. I am no expert on what is needed for the B8/12 to retain its Autonomous 5 (aka Power 5) designation with the NCAA. What I am reading in the media is considered opinion that the Remaining 8 + BYU + UCF + Houston + Cincinnati will enable the Big 12 to retain its A5(P5) status with the NCAA, even if the conference falls from 3rd to 5th in the A5(P5) rankings.

And even if the NCAA withdrew the Autonomous classification for the new Big 12, it will still be considered the best of the rest, light years beyond the current next best AAC, which probably won’t be “the next best” with losing UCF, UC and UH.

Bottom line — sitting on 8 is not a viable option, moving up is not currently a viable option, the best remaining option is expanding. And going to 12 instead of just getting back to 10 establishes a buffer for the schools should KU and another program get “Adult Table” invites in the not too distant future.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 7 months ago #27464 by HawkErrant
Nice article in the Deseret News

Why BYU should welcome a Big 12 invite if it comes

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 7 months ago #27465 by HawkErrant
A somewhat rambling article, but with some good points.
CBSSports: Big 12 expansion: How adding BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF may change college football's power structure

Also of note, the Houston Chronicle reports that the UH Board of Regents on Tuesday voted unanimously to give university chancellor Renu Khator authority to pursue membership in the Power Five conference.
Houston Chronicle: UH to pursue Big 12 membership

Noted in the above article - “A formal vote by Big 12 presidents to extend invitations could come as early as Friday.”

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 7 months ago #27466 by HawkErrant

Full text
#BREAKING: The University of Cincinnati has officially submitted an application to join the Big 12 Conference, per @jwilliamscincy.

The Big 12 is expected to announce Friday that Cincinnati will join.

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 7 months ago #27467 by HawkErrant

More
2 years 7 months ago #27469 by Slayer2384
UCF is intriguing. Obviously not the level of ou/tu but has been an up and comer. One of the largest student bodies in the country, major investments in athletic facilities, and in a large Florida TV market (Orlando over to Tampa).

With three of the four teams joining from the AAC, that league's basketball power is pretty much gone. Most of the board does not have a direct interest in Wichita State Basketball but will be interesting to see what happens to WSU in the league alignment.

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 7 months ago #27470 by HawkErrant
Clearly the Big 12 had done their homework in the past and quickly pulled out their files and updated things when OUT made their news public.
text:
BYU, UCF, Cincinnati & Houston have all officially applied for Big 12 membership, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. The Big 12 presidents will vote Friday to accept - & will accept those schools - sources said. Yahoo 1st report. A news conference is scheduled Friday, source said
================

All but independent BYU are AAC teams, and are required to give 27 months notice to the AAC before leaving. BYU will almost certainly be on board next summer, the others — with some deals being worked out with the AAC — will most likely be on board Fall 2023 at the earliest (~23 months), even if OUT are still in the Big 12 until summer 2025. I think it unlikely, but it is possible the Big 12 could actually operate with 16 teams for a year or two.

And the AAC is already looking at adding programs in order to maintain its status as “the best of the rest.”
SI.com: AAC Commissioner: We Will Expand, Remain 'Power 6' in Light of Big 12 Realignment

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #27472 by HawkErrant
Comments from poster Kbone on JayhawkSlant in response to folks complaining about the Alliance, the SEC and OUT. (link for Slant members)

================
The SEC did what they felt was best for their conference. They didn't take OU and UT to screw KU, they did it to improve their own situation. Same with OU and UT, the end game wasn't to hurt the remaining eight, it was to improve their own situation. When a person leaves a company for a better opportunity, how the company handles it says a lot about the company and very little about the person. OU and UT gave us two years notice. They got a raise, a better title, and likely more pressure to perform. Now we have to respond.

If we truly believe KU and the remaining eight deserve to be a P5 conference, then we should have no issue behaving like a P5 conference. If we don't want to run with the big dogs, then maybe we should keep our G6 asses on the porch. We can sit around and bitch about OU and UT, bad mouth the SEC, cry about the Alliance, moan about why the B1G hasn't asked us to homecoming yet, talk about Vandy, Oregon State, Rutgers, and other weaker P4 members and say it just isn't fair. All of that self pity, playing the victim and excuse making will accomplish nothing.

Control what we can control. If we can't get to another conference right now, then do the absolute best we can in our current situation. Self has BB under control and HCLL is making strides. Girod and Goff have a lot on their plate and I am confident they are doing their best duck impersonation, calm and cool on the surface while paddling like hell under the water.

We may be in the process of going to one big power group breaking away from the NCAA. Being tight with the SEC may not be a bad position in that situation. KU is still likely the most attractive option outside the B1G, ACC, SEC, PAC. So, we need to be grinding to be as attractive as possible when the chips start falling.

LSU just scheduled USC, the Alliance is not exclusive. If a relationship with the SEC helps us stay relevant, gives us some prime time pay days, possibly maintains P5 status, then we take it.

We are not in a position to get petty. Just like everyone else is doing, we must do what is best for ourselves short and long term… making bad strategic moves out of spite is not something we can afford.

================

Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

More
2 years 7 months ago #27473 by CorpusJayhawk
Whoever the Kbone is, get him on this board. That was quite a post. I agree absolutely 100% with what he said. Well stated, well written and spot on in context and points. I’m see nothing nefarious with any of this. Seems like everyone is just looking out for what t
Hey think is best. I was 100% in the “KU to Big 10” camp at first. But tHat was just spitballing. Unless there is bunch of subterfuge going on, it seems that the BIG 12 end up being 12 teams with BYU, Cincy, Houston and UCF. If that is the case, I’m fine with that. Even better after reading Kbone’s post. That could be a bodacious basketball conference. We will have our work cut out for us in football, but bring it on. I like a challenge. UCF and Cincy are good, BYU has been pretty good and the remains 8 have some solid teams like OSU, TCU, West Virginia, and Iowa St. K-state has been pretty solid as well. Maybe the Big 12 and SEC will form an alliance.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
2 years 7 months ago #27499 by hoshi
From a pretty reliable source, KU is still looking at entering the Big10.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 7 months ago #27500 by HawkErrant

hoshi wrote: From a pretty reliable source, KU is still looking at entering the Big10.

Sure hope it happens, too!

Meanwhile, the Big 12 may not be done expanding.
CBSSports.com: Big 12 expansion: Boise State, Memphis among schools being discussed as future conference additions

The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 6 months ago #27508 by HawkErrant