Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Wilt & The Bug

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
2 years 7 months ago #27427 by HawkErrant
It ain’t nothin but a li’l sumpin ta do...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
2 years 7 months ago #27428 by Bayhawk
Love me some Big Dipper history!!!

Thanks HE,

--RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
2 years 7 months ago #27429 by jaythawk1
Hey Eric,

That picture of Wilt reminded me of a story my mother told me of when she was in Lawrence when he was playing for the Jayhawks. She said he drove an MG Midget around town and one day she saw him climb out of it and that he kept coming out and out and out. She laughed about it.

Also in 1972, around Relays time...he was in town visiting his ol' friend Bob Timmons. At that time I was a member of the Student Relays Committee and found myself walking down the hall to Bob's office when Wilt and him came out together. I got to shake his hand and say what an honor it was to meet him and that I thought he was one of the greatest basketball players ever. At that time he was playing professional volley ball.

But seeing that picture...I thought I'd share.

RCJH!

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, sasnak, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, wardhawk

More
2 years 6 months ago #27468 by Slayer2384
A little to the post but reminds me of an old college classmate that worked at a gas station in Goddard Ks in the 70s. A VW bug pulls up to get gas. Out of the VW steps out the driver Ken Keonigs (all 6'10) (Goddard's his hometown) along with a passenger, Paul Molkeski (sorry for the selling) at 7'1ish. Ken had taken out the front seats and became a backseat driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, jaythawk1

More
2 years 6 months ago #27474 by CorpusJayhawk
Slayer, I had a similar experience. I worked from 1977-80 at The Amoco station on 9th and Iowa. I worked usually 40 hours per week including noon the midnight most Saturdays and 10 to 10 on Sundays. Ah, the joys of working your way through college. Anyway, I met many interesting people. This was during the full service era before self-serve. I waited on coaches, players, and all sorts of others. Quite a few interesting stories. But one of the more memorable customers was Paul Mokeski in his modified 1973 Monte Carlo. He had the back set removed and had the driver seat back about where the backseat was originally.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, jaythawk1