Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Assistant Head Coach Jeremy Case

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
2 years 8 months ago #27410 by HawkErrant

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
2 years 8 months ago #27412 by CorpusJayhawk
This could end up being Self’s best hire since Joe Dooley. I am a huge Case fan. He is exceptionally winsome which is super appealing in his job. Plus he is a true student of the profession. I also like the Brady Morningstar replacement. I am a fan of Brady as well. These guys are the real deal. I know Jerrance Howard had some props from some sources but I never particularly liked that hire. I didn’t dislike him or anything like that, I just thought he was not nearly as good as Self could have done. Dooley was a genius and Danny was Danny. But Case has a chance to be right there with them and possibly even better. I am happy for him and for KU.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

More
2 years 8 months ago #27416 by Kong
Don't really know what to say here. On the one hand I like Jeremy and think he will be a good assistant coach/ But on the other hand, weren't we told by Self that he was amazed at all the people and talent that have expressed interest in the position.

I guess I was expecting a big name with a lot of past experience based on Self's comments.

Happy for Jeremy and know he will do well, but I was expecting something different.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: wardhawk

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #27417 by HawkErrant

Kong wrote: Don't really know what to say here. On the one hand I like Jeremy and think he will be a good assistant coach/ But on the other hand, weren't we told by Self that he was amazed at all the people and talent that have expressed interest in the position.

I guess I was expecting a big name with a lot of past experience based on Self's comments.

Happy for Jeremy and know he will do well, but I was expecting something different.

I first learned Jeremy getting the job was likely about a month ago. Didn’t say anything since it was still rumor at that point.

In the interim, I thought about what Self had said about the expressed interest, and eventually came to the following conclusion.

1. Self places great value in relationships, but not to the point he will hire or recruit someone if he feels he has a better alternative for the role he is looking to fill. Given the length of time between Howard leaving and Jeremy being promoted, I was wondering if he was looking real hard at Danny or Joe Dooley. Dooley announced back in April that he was going to continue to be the HC for East Carolina into the future. I know I was a little surprised to see Danny go to work for Mark at Maryland, and have wondered if he opted not to return to KU again or if Bill, looking for someone he felt he could groom to eventually succeed him (he turns 59 this December), opted not to go with Danny (age difference Bill v Danny is less than 4 years). No idea, just thinking “out loud.”

2. Given that Self has proved to be an excellent judge of people, whether staff or recruit, the fact that he chose 36 year old Jayhawk Jeremy over all the other people he says expressed interest in the position says enough for me. Everyone liking him is a big plus, and from all reports he is super-dedicated and very smart. He is young enough that he can relate to recruits, big since recruiting is such a big part of the job. And how can you not appreciate a guy who jumps in to break up a melee (and gets a broken arm in the process) instead of holding back as we saw some people do at the end of that KState game?

Bottom line is Bill will see the results soon enough, and know whether or not Jeremy Jayhawk is the man for the job.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, wardhawk, porthawk