Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Liked these comments from Mr. Coleman-Lands

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #27201 by porthawk
So this article was posted a few weeks back when we landed the ISU transfer.
www2.kusports.com/news/2021/may/19/kansa...ran/?mens_basketball

Finally got around to reading the article more closely and really liked this quote from him. Very team oriented.(Bold is my emphasis.)

While he heard from other coaches and programs in recent weeks who told him they wanted him to be the leading scorer and net 30 points a game, Coleman-Lands had bigger things in mind. “That was cool,” he said. “And they were telling me what they thought I wanted to hear. But my main thing is to fill a role where I have a part in helping Kansas win. That’s my reason for coming back. My biggest emphasis is to go out there and win and be on a team that I can contribute.”

Also, enjoyed this reader comment following the article. It's not about JCL, but just a quick take on the fusillade of transfers this off season.

While all these transfers are insane, it will slow down somewhat next year because a few things will change. First is that there won't be all of these guys eligible for a 5th year (Covid year). Second is this new transfer w/o sitting out a year rule can only be used once. So everybody that transferred this year can't transfer again next year w/o sitting out. This doesn't mean there won't be a lot of transfers, there just won't be as many as this year.

Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by porthawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
2 years 10 months ago #27205 by HawkErrant

porthawk wrote: ...
Also, enjoyed this reader comment following the article. It's not about JCL, but just a quick take on the fusillade of transfers this off season.

While all these transfers are insane, it will slow down somewhat next year because a few things will change. First is that there won't be all of these guys eligible for a 5th year (Covid year). Second is this new transfer w/o sitting out a year rule can only be used once. So everybody that transferred this year can't transfer again next year w/o sitting out. This doesn't mean there won't be a lot of transfers, there just won't be as many as this year.

Re: the bolded comment. The extra year applies to EVERYONE who played this past season.
4 years eligibility used: get an extra year
3 years used: have 2 more years of eligibility
2 years used: have 3 more years of eligibility
1 year used: have 4 more years of eligibility.

IOW, we will see THREE MORE YEARS of players with 6 years of eligibility in which to play 5.

The extra year goes away for players whose eligibility begins next season or later.

AND since when all those eligible for their extra year reach that point and they should be graduates, they will qualify as graduate transfers and still be able to transfer and immediately play.

So yeah, the number will drop, but not as much as we might think until all the COVID extra year players have left.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 10 months ago #27211 by porthawk
Thanks for clarifying that, HE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant