Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

No more sitting out for first time transfers...

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 1 week ago #27085 by HawkErrant
... and the “wild, wild west” is here for all college sports. I have mixed feelings about it, but all things considered I think it will be a positive.
AP: NCAA adopts One Time Free Transfer Rule

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 1 week ago #27087 by CorpusJayhawk
I am not nearly as sanguine about this as you are HE. I don't see it as a bad thing per se' but I do see it as negatively impact more significantly aspects of college sports that I enjoy. I don't begrudge the NCAA for doing it, I think given our current culture it is a reasonable thing to do. I just don't like the loss of the loyalty aspect and school spirit as a more dominant part of the game. We are introducing full on free agency which is likely a good thing for the players from a standpoint of having options to get more playing time and get out of situations they may find were not optimal for them in some way or another. But in the analysis it must be remembered that in regards to playing time, that is a zero sum game. For every minute one player gains PT another player loses. I have enjoyed the Travis Releford stories and Frank Mason stories where players actually develop in a program for several years before blossoming. It is important also to understand that if a player is unhappy as a freshman for whatever reason and is not getting as much PT as they would like, in the old system, they had to choose to buckle down and work harder or suffer consequences if they chose to take the easy road and bolt. I do see that with the consequences of transferring gone, the incentive to buckle down and solve the problem by working harder is somewhat diminished. Life has consequences and when consequences are removed behavior is modified. I would bet that Self and Co. will do just fine in this brave new world. Another conjecture that may or may not prove true, is there will be actually less parity. From what I have read, many believe this will lead to greater parity bit there is at least one argument that this will lead to less parity. The elite schools with the big budgets, big TV exposure and likelihood of getting to the big dance will still be the more attractive destinations. Now players that flew under the radar coming out of HS but have breakout seasons will possible more likely transfer to the elite schools after their stock goes up. Thus making the rich richer, so to speak.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.