Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Pettiford signs; Bishop announces Saturday

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 3 days ago #27081 by HawkErrant
Bobby Pettiford Jr signed his NLI today.

Christian Bishop will be announcing his decision tomorrow, choosing between KU, tu and the tarred ones.

Of note for the latter is that today former OU forward Brady Manek signed with the tarred ones.

Also for consideration Shay Wildeboor of Rivals, who has known the Bishop family for years, believes that Christian Bishop will be a Jayhawk if KU truly wants him. (IOW if he doesn’t choose KU it’s because KU didn’t prioritize him).

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, porthawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 3 days ago #27082 by CorpusJayhawk
HE this all begs the question of what does it all mean in terms of putting an NC contender on the court? If Bishop signs with KU we will be in a situation where we are reasonably strong 11 or even 12 deep. But who cares about those last 4 or even beyond the top 5. We all know it is sure nice to have a 9th guy who would be starting a lot of other places. Or a 10th and 11th guy who would be significant contributors on decent teams. What it really takes is a couple major talents, a great starting 5 and a 3 man bench that is starter capable. Baylor this last season had 2 or possbly 3 core stars, and 8 guys who were starter capable. Our best teams have had 2 or 3 main guys and 7 or 8 deep stars. I think we have the 7 or 8 deep for sure already and even more so if Bishop signs. But do we have the 2-3 super studs that strike fear every night like Devon and Udoka? I really like this Cuffe kid. He may be. Star in the making. I SM hoping that McCormack continues to grow and becomes more of a stud. Jalen is intriguing with his potential. I love Ochai but I personally am not sold that he is more than a good 4th guy on an elite team. Christian, IMHO is no kore than a 5th guy on an elite team. Can Cuffe be that star? How about cam Martin? I worry that we will have another nice team but sans the elite horsepower of elite talent to make a run. Who will step up? Is anyone on the roster that Davion Mitchell or Jared Butler type? Maybe. But we could also be that team that is super strong through the 11th man but not elite in the top 2 or 3. We have some candidates for that elite and I hope they come through. That is what is needed to be a real contender.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, porthawk, murphyslaw

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 2 days ago - 3 years 2 days ago #27083 by HawkErrant
All good questions, Corpus.

First let me note that Christian Bishop announced early and is heading to Texas. Did Brady Manek signing with the tarred ones affect his decision? Seems so, as once that news was out Bishop announced shortly thereafter instead of waiting to today. And given the thoughts of those close to the family that he was a Jayhawk if KU really wanted him, it seems pretty clear he was not as high a priority as the transfer guards that Self & Co are talking with.

The latest such case is David Collins of USF, who had a Thursday call with Self & Co. Frankly looking at his shooting % I'm not sure why KU is interested if they are in fact looking for shooters. Collins is a scorer but not a shooter. Lots of people talking lots of players in the portal and let's pursue him or let's pursue him, but nothing that "feels good" at this point.

No one out there right now jumps out at me as a guy who can step up to be one of the core guys you mention if he comes to KU.

But with at least one ride left, and maybe as many as 3 if Ochai and Jalen stay in the draft, I would think we will seen at least one more name in the next 7 days. If that happens and we see that KU is still pursuing players for next year we can pretty much count of one of OA or JW having played their last in The Phog.

As for TyTy Washington, the "feel" is that UK leads for him now that they are in the hunt.

Also of note is that there are still Rivals #1, 2, 4, 12 and 24 high school recruits, 5* all, who have yet to announce what they will be doing next fall.

Personally I'd love to see 7 footer Efton Reid (#24), who has been notoriously closed mouthed about his recruitment, surprise all with a decision to come to KU.

These dreams...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 3 years 2 days ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, porthawk