Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Bryce is leaving :-(

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
3 years 1 week ago #27060 by konza63

This sucks.

He was a 5-star guard and the best player in Oklahoma when he came out - and we lost him.

At least on the surface, it appears that Self didn’t manage this well AT ALL: i.e., his development, his time at KU, and his explanation to Bryce about his role in light of recruiting in a bunch of other guards.

Bad blow for KU. His upside was immense. :( :angry:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 1 week ago #27061 by AZhawk87
I sure hope this transfer thing is a one year covid blip.

My enjoyment factor of KU hoops dipped quite a bit once we started down the one and done route. I just didn't care about the players who left before I could ever get to know them.

This transfer thing is worse for me. I have very little interest in grad transfers or other inbound transfers who might be here short term.

Maybe the exodus is sanction related?? And Bryce wants one more year of college at a place that isn't on probation? If so, I don't blame him at all. That, and he didn't get much playing time at all (injuries notwithstanding) even with other players who weren't getting it done offensively the entire season.

More
3 years 1 week ago #27062 by newtonhawk
With all of the departures it make me wonder what the locker room was really like. How could there have been a cohesive unit from this bunch?

My other thought is that Self admitted that recruiting was down. Are these departures reactions to his comments or did they see the handwriting on the wall with the upgrades coming in?

We will likely never know.

It will be a big job developing all of these new bodies and minds into the Self system. HCBS has his work cut out for him.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 1 week ago #27064 by HawkErrant
Because of no playing time envisioned, at least not without a huge uphill battle?

For instance...
FULL TEXT OF TWEET
Staff would like a decision from Garrett to help with transfer portal clarity. He was likely gone and very close to Jerrance... but now with Yesufu and the chance to play off ball... he's at least considering it.

and
FULL TEXT OF TWEET
KU BBall HEARINGS:
• Bryce news has been known internally for a while... again hearing Tulsa. Staff didn't push him out.
• Multiple people have commented on how energized Self is right now. He's FIRED UP to a notable extent
• Would guess the next asst. is a young recruiter

Remember that Garrett would not count against the scholarship limit, but his presence would impact available playing time at the 2/3, with Yesefu, Harris and Pettiford taking up the bulk of the 1 and maybe even the 1&2 time depending on who else comes to KU.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
3 years 1 week ago #27070 by CorpusJayhawk
Muscadin, Jossell, Enaruna, and Grant-Foster were not only not surprising but anticipated. Thompson was a bit of a shocker. I realize it is all noise but good grief, KU sports seems to be in total chaos when even the basketball team seems to be engulfed in such uncertainty. I sort of channel AZ in that I struggle to get too excited about inbound transferees. I mean, we have all known the college sports is becoming more and more mercenary and "all about me" for some time. But we have been able to mostly ignore it with the constant refrains of "student-athlete" and the like. But the genie seems to officially be out of the bottle. College sports is now just pro sports dressed up with school colors. It makes it more and more difficult to have the same zeal.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
3 years 1 week ago #27072 by AZhawk87
His comment to the paper was last season was just too stressful.

First comments from fans was he was being weak.

I have kids slightly older than him, and several who play high level college sports. They're still just kids, and last year was incredibly stressful for them. Being in a constant bubble, not having a normal college life, being on campus when no other students were there, testing every day, playing thru injury, etc. was a lot for any kid to handle.

I don't question any young person - 5 Start athlete or otherwise - who struggled this past year. I wish him the Best of luck in a new environment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, gorillahawk