Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Drake transfer PG Yesufu a Jayhawk!!

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
2 years 11 months ago #27018 by HawkErrant
From Shay Wildeboor at JayhawkSlant...

The decision is in for Joseph Yesufu, the 6-foot-0, 180-pound point guard from Bolingbrook (IL) High School. After entering the transfer portal in April, Yesufu, who spent the previous two years at Drake, has decided to finish out his career by playing for Bill Self and Kansas.

In 31 games this past season, Yesufu averaged 12.8 points, 1.8 rebounds, 1.8 assists, and 1.1 steals per game. Offensively, he shot 44.2 percent from the field, 38.4 percent from behind the arc, and 81.2 percent from the free-throw line.

In the final nine games of his Drake career, Yesufu had scoring games of 20, 32, 36, 16, 21, 25, 12, 21, and 26.

Shay @JayhawkSlant: DRAKE TRANSFER JOSEPH YESUFU COMMITS TO KANSAS

The kid is a stud. If you watched Drake v Wichita State and then USC you got to see what he can do!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 11 months ago #27020 by HawkErrant
I do believe that this announcement tells us that the staff either believes TyTy Washington wasn't going to become a Jayhawk, OR it came down to whichever one said YES first got the slot. I'm more inclined to think the former.

Also note -- it has yet to happen, but expectations from sources last week were that Latrell Jossell was going to be entering the transfer portal this week.

Well, it's Wednesday, and nada yet.

Perhaps he and Bill had worked out that if KU didn't land another PG LJ would stay as PG insurance?
Or maybe LJ simply wants to be a Jayhawk, and can't bring himself to jump out of that perfectly good airplane?

All conjecture on my part, ruminations of an active (some might say overactive) Jayhawk mind.

I will say this -- if LJ does indeed enter the transfer portal this week, I would be very surprised if his announcement was not quickly followed by news that Creighton transfer big Christian Bishop is going to complete the AY2021-22 roster.

Be sure to check out the recruiting thread Origin Post for the complete summary of who is going, who is staying and who is going to be a newbie the next time our Jayhawks lace up for real.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 11 months ago #27022 by replayloungehawk
Will Yesufu be eligible next year immediately? This is a HUGE get! He was nuts in the tourney games I watched.

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 11 months ago #27023 by HawkErrant
As part of the COVID-19 rules this year all transfers get to play immediately next year for their new school.

If another ride opens up and KU brings in Creighton transfer Christian Bishop as I think they will, he will also be a contributor next time around.

FYI...
The last I read on it the NCAA is also considering permanently changing the transfer rules so that all student-athletes will have a one use only Transfer Free card. First time -- and only first time -- transfers will not have to sit out the next year. Hope it passes.

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 11 months ago #27024 by replayloungehawk
awesome! Thanks for the info.

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 11 months ago #27026 by HawkErrant
Joseph Yesufu on attending Kansas: "I'm very blessed" ...

kansas.n.rivals.com/news/joseph-yesufu-o...as-i-m-very-blessed-

This should be readable by all, not just members. Let me know if it is not, and I will reprint the text here FYI.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
2 years 11 months ago #27027 by konza63
Huge get. Arguably the missing piece - shot creator and scorer on the wing. We are looking to be STACKED, with major intra-team competition that will push everyone.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 11 months ago #27028 by HawkErrant
When he took over as the starter after Drake's starting senior PG had a season ending injury and then Drake lost their leading scorer as well!
FULL TEXT OF TWEET
Joe Yesufu's last 9 games this season with Drake:

- 23.2 points per game
- 30/64 (.469) from three
- 39/46 (.848) from FT line

High volume + high efficiency

• konza63
More
2 years 11 months ago #27031 by konza63
Check this out. Highlights from his superb USC performance.

Love this kid’s game. Great addition!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• konza63
More
2 years 11 months ago #27032 by konza63
PS: he’s not just a shooter.