Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Asst Coach Howard to Beard staff at Texas

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
2 years 11 months ago #27006 by HawkErrant

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
2 years 11 months ago #27007 by CorpusJayhawk
Time to promote JCase!

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
2 years 11 months ago #27008 by LKF_HAWK
Opening for 25 to rejoin the staff

More
2 years 11 months ago #27010 by CorpusJayhawk
Getting 25 back would be awesome. Would love to see a Jayhawk of any sort fill the spot. DBlock 32 has been honing his chops as a coach lately as well. Danny would be No. 1 but Case or Darnell or some other Jayhawk would be optimal.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
2 years 11 months ago #27013 by AZhawk87
Manning would be fantastic. We were big Man U when he was here.

I kinda think his head coaching career is done, so coming home to help develop our bigs would be a nice place to finish a career.

More
2 years 11 months ago #27014 by JoJoHawk
I’m always concerned when a staff member joins a conference rival due to knowledge of the program. This would include philosophy of in game sets and, more importantly, recruiting plans. I think we should be somehow compensated! Hudi?
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
2 years 11 months ago #27015 by jayhawk969
Who else they going to hire away from us. Anything to beat the Jayhawks. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #27016 by konza63
I agree with your takes, jayhawk969 and jojohawk.

I'm not sure what, if any, shortcomings Howard may have had, but two strengths of his - well-known and documented in articles and with one's own eyes - were recruiting prowess and keeping things light and fun with the players (particularly the African-American players on our rosters). The latter has been punctuated in speech after speech on Senior Night, and it's clear that he was a very helpful member of the staff in that regard. He was also a serious recruiter, and a feather in our cap as a younger African-American coaching staff member. (He had particular ties to Chicago, I would note)

As for your take, JoJo, that is precisely what I noted to HE in a 1:1 conversation when the news came out:

"He’s moving to the biggest athletic program in the conference, with a solid and shiny new HC. Maybe also recruited to have a 'constant spy' on the staff - a guy who knows every play and tendency of Self (with the dominant program) inside and out."

It's not disturbing that an assistant is moving on. But it IS disturbing when he's moving laterally to a conference rival (and the conference athletics behemoth) - one with a solid new coach who simply has to recruit better to try and join the upper tier of the conference.

That said, what's done is done. It's yet another reason for Self to keep evolving, growing, and adapting - in his staff, his recruiting, and particularly (now) his on-court strategies, sets, and approaches. I would love to see us incorporate to our existing attack (which he'll need to modify in its look, to throw UT off) more stretch 4 and 5 shooters (as I've noted often in the past) plus more guards/wings who can create their own shot off the ball. (See: Butler and Mitchell from Baylor) As it stands with last year's roster, we have no such animals - no stretch 4s/5s and our wings are all the types of shooters who basically have to be set to have any chance of making a shot. (Thankfully our initial transfer focus and recruiting for next year seems to be addressing the former, though we still need plus-ups with the latter)

Time for Bill to get to work.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by konza63.

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 11 months ago #27030 by HawkErrant
I like the sound of this.
Full text
Bill Self on the job opening on his coaching staff: "It has been very, very pleasantly uplifting and surprising to know the pool that would be interested in coming here. I mean very." ... He said he's in no hurry to fill the asst. coach opening.

Wondering if the pool includes Aaron and Jacque?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
2 years 11 months ago #27033 by HawkErrant
I was telling konza63 that if Kurtis Townsend should end up leaving I would love it if both Aaron and Jacque came on board.

Aaron (now with the GS Warriors) can handle west coast recruiting, Jacque (Nets) with his exposure can handle the east coast, let Norm & Bill handle middle America.

More
2 years 11 months ago #27034 by porthawk
Yeah, I totally agree with JoJoHawk on that one. Maybe there should be NDAs in this type of situation. I kid, but it when it's so close (a la a conf rival), it seems like they get too much of an advantage.

Also, I'm with HE's "Hmm". Wonder what the connection is btwn Beard and Howard, b/c if there isn't any, it seems kind of random.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #27036 by konza63
Porthawk: Good points. I also don’t like the fact that Howard was almost certainly privy to a ton of inside information regarding the NCAA investigation, KU’s and Self’s strategy for that, and all the nuanced details. Or, even worse, just snippets of info that might not provide full and proper context.

Should such information be used against Self and KU in recruiting, planting misinformation with the media, etc - as part of an effort to “injure the Goliath” of the conference - that would be very unseemly and problematic.

Bottom line: I wish I knew if this was a planned and amicable departure or a sudden and negative one, but my reading between the lines on Self’s comments yesterday about the staff opening tells me it could very well have been the latter. Just supposition, but the bottom line is, for all intents and purposes, a staff coach with intimate inside knowledge of our program, coaching style, game-planning, practice techniques, recruiting approaches, game preparation, and in-game coaching Xs and Os just bolted for “the enemy.” (The enemy being any and all major conference programs or national rivals seeking to elevate themselves above KU, at KU’s expense)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk