Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Title Game poll - Gonzaga or Baylor

Poll: Gonzaga or Baylor?

I like Mark Few, Gonzaga's due!
2 28.6%
Despite Scott Drew, I'm Big 12 true! Baylor!
5 71.4%
Total number of voters: 7
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #26984 by HawkErrant
The poll reflects why, for one of the few times in recent years, I will be happy with whoever wins.

I think after their whetstone, near death experience game with UCLA, Gonzaga is going to roll the Bears. It just seems like this is their year and they go on to become the first undefeated champion since Indiana in 1976.

What are your thoughts, RCBers?

Rock Chalk!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26986 by sasnak
I think it depends upon which team shows up for both sides. Baylor on their best night could have beat Gonzaga the other night. I like both teams. They are both fun to watch but a part of me wants the unbeaten team to go down

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26987 by HawkErrant
I hear ya, sasnak!

Another plus for me tonight is that regardless of who wins we will have a first time ever Mens Hoops NC.

If UCLA had won, I’d be all in on Baylor, despite Scott Drew.

This way is mucho better!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, murphyslaw

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26989 by konza63
The poll response options are phrased to ask who we “want” to win as opposed to who we “think” will win. And, at least in my case, they are different answers.

I want Baylor (slightly), but think Gonzaga has a slight edge to cut down the nets. As Sasnak noted, however, it all depends on which Baylor team shows up - or how they perform in the face of Gonzaga’s inexorable offensive attack.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26990 by HawkErrant

konza63 wrote: The poll response options are phrased to ask who we “want” to win as opposed to who we “think” will win. And, at least in my case, they are different answers.

I want Baylor (slightly), but think Gonzaga has a slight edge to cut down the nets. As Sasnak noted, however, it all depends on which Baylor team shows up - or how they perform in the face of Gonzaga’s inexorable offensive attack.

Not really. I didn't use either of those words, and "like" can mean either of them in this context, but if that's how you read it, that's fine. Following the heart is always the more interesting question anyway.

Unless $$ is involved, of course, then it's "what are the odds and the spread?" and I don't bet on sports so I can at least try to enjoy them.

But, but... what about my Jayhawk poetry??:(

In my case my slight lean, want or think, is Gonzaga, because I just don't like Scott Drew and I do like Mark Few and he's been knocking on this door for awhile now.

Of course, it could happen that after their first real challenge of the season the Zags burned themselves out and the Bears are ready to sweep up the ashes.

Or not.

Maybe the Bears pulled a KU v Marquette 2003 and will come out cold tonight to their loss.

Or not.

As I noted before, I'm going to enjoy whoever wins -- assuming it is a clean, well officiated game with no game deciding controversy.

Frankly I'd like nothing more than to see a repeat of the UCLA-Gonzaga game, with it decided on the last shot as time runs out. Prefer Zags, but Baylor (not Drew, but yeah, I know they are inseparable) will be fine as well with me.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #26991 by konza63
Yep, I’m good either way. And for longtime board members, you know that’s an evolution on my part when it comes to Drew and Baylor. I still am not fond of the guy and his antics at AFH, but it’s impossible not to respect the job he’s done at Baylor. No program was in worse shape than that one when he took it over, and he’s turned it into a perennial national contender. That is good for the Big 12, which has suffered from a national reputation that it’s just “Kansas and to rest” (owing to paltry postseason crowns).

But if Baylor wins tonite, and checks that box, they become an official elite rival of ours. I won’t be rooting for them to get there again anytime soon. :-)

As for Mark Few, I fully concur. Good guy, and he deserves it. Hope it’s a great game!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26996 by LKF_HAWK
Baylor was just awesome tonight. Coach Self better step it up..
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk