Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Roy Williams Retiring

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26933 by replayloungehawk
I thought it was about time. I noticed he looked tired the last few years.

goheels.com/news/2021/4/1/mens-basketbal...20his%20alma%20mater .
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #26934 by HawkErrant
It’s April Fools Day, but it does look legit.

Hated how he left, but grateful for all he did for KU.

Wonder who the tarred ones go after next?

Do they stay in the family as they have since The Traitor Smith stepped down?
(Bill Guthridge, Matt Doherty and Roy)

Or do they go after a proven gem like Tony Bennett at UVa? (as Konza63 would say “ugh”)

Maybe Jerod Haase? Doubtful, but he was an AC there after KU.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26935 by JoJoHawk
Dunno- it is April first!

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26936 by LKF_HAWK
Best wishes to Coach Williams-thank you for the life advice at your basketball camps and giving me a chance to meet MJ. Always wish you could have won one at Kansas, but hope you feel like you can comeback to your other home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, newtonhawk

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26937 by porthawk
It's definitely legit as here's the story from ESPN:
www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...roy-williams-retires
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #26939 by HawkErrant
For the record

My only four gripes with Roy were --
1. Timeout management (playing through foes' runs instead of calling timeouts to try for a reset)
2. Not recruiting the East Coast because he would be competing with the tarred ones
3. Not telling The Traitor Smith to back off until after the 2003 NCAA tournament.
4. Saying in an ESPN interview after taking the tarred ones job that a recruit he had been working hard at Kansas should not be "stuck out there" link

I have always understood the draw of home and alma mater, and do not begrudge him that one bit.
Just wish he had managed #3 better.

I feel #2 cost him some titles, as you will recall he had those up & down recruiting seasons at KU. (TTBOMK he has never had a down year recruiting with the tarred ones. Shoot, his last glory years at KU he owes finders fee $$ to Tim Floyd for leaving ISU for the Chicago Bulls, allowing Roy to pull Kirk Hinrich and Nick Collison to KANSAS.)

BUT I am so thankful for all the POSITIVE things he did for KANSAS hoops. I do wish he had stayed -- I think he would have finally "broke down that door" here, especially if he finally started recruiting the east coast. But I am glad for him, thank him for all he did for KANSAS and wish him nothing but the best in retirement.

Maybe Bill can arrange a Roy Williams Day to honor him now that he is hanging up his clipboard... which shows that he did finally learn the value of #1.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26945 by konza63

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26946 by NotOstertag
Thank you for your contribution to the program, but you burned too many bridges with how you left to ever be honored with much more than that.

He essentially abandoned his team in a final four run and allowed himself to be manipulated by his alma mater. At the very least he could have put a quarter in a pay phone (how it was done back then) and told Dean to cool his jets until after the tournament. He didn't. He showed an amazing lack of character and spine in the process.

He also set our program back as "not quite a blue blood" by choosing to leave. At the time, we were struggling to compete for national prominence with the likes of the ESPN-baked ACC programs and programs like UK and Indiana. It took KU several years under Self before the obvious conclusion that KU "belonged" among the group of the most elite programs established itself. We were certainly tracking in the right direction under Roy, but the way he left knocked us back a step or two.

We were insanely lucky to land Self and have him turn out as he did. Imagining if we hadn't had this good fortune, and struggled for a few years (or more) and I don't think people would be having such fond remembrances of old Huckleberry.

So thanks Roy. I won't miss your phoniness and boo-hooing crocodile tears when the cameras come on. IMHO, you were done a few seasons ago, but by sticking around you helped KU expand the gap on the all-time wins list, so thanks for that too. Maybe you have one more season in ya.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26953 by AZhawk87
I lean toward NotO's feelings, but time has eased my dislike for how Roy moved on from KU. At that time it felt to me like Roy was milking the process for his own attention grabbing, and I've enjoyed it when UNC loses (added bonus that my brother in law is a tarheel)

I just watched part of his retirement press conference, and I would like to think he was sincere, as the things he said were admirable.

However, I still have this gut instinct that it's more about getting attention and perpetuating his deputy dog personna. His main points were he made a lot of coaching mistakes the past couple years and isn't the guy for the job now. I can only imagine the responses he'll get from the UNC community saying "you're the man" and "don't blame yourself", which feels like pandering from Ol Roy for such nice comments.

Overall he's been great for KU and college hoops, so I'm happy for him and he should be proud of his career.