Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Warrior Big Dave -- speedy recovery, fella!

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26923 by HawkErrant
KUSports.com - Tait:KU’s David McCormack out 12 weeks after surgery to repair broken bone in foot

Broke it against E.Washington, played against USC with it.

Injury bug bites us again come tournament time...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk, porthawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26958 by porthawk
So this is the last paragraph of the article:

Although he tested his NBA draft stock last season before announcing his decision to return to KU, McCormack is expected to be back for his fourth year with the program in 2021-22 and still could have two seasons of eligibility left because of the additional year given to all college athletes this season because of the pandemic.

Based on the fact that it's saying that DM has two seasons of eligibility left b/c of the pandemic, does this mean that all freshmen and sophs have the extra year, too? I ask b/c for I guess I thought/assumed that the extra year of eligibility offered was only for seniors.And if that is true, doesn't that mean that the whole "players on scholarship" conundrum will continue for the next three years...as opposed to sorting itself out after next year (if it were only seniors who were offered that extra year)?

Pardon my potential ignorance here and thanks, in advance, for any help.

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #26959 by HawkErrant

porthawk wrote: So this is the last paragraph of the article:

Although he tested his NBA draft stock last season before announcing his decision to return to KU, McCormack is expected to be back for his fourth year with the program in 2021-22 and still could have two seasons of eligibility left because of the additional year given to all college athletes this season because of the pandemic.

Based on the fact that it's saying that DM has two seasons of eligibility left b/c of the pandemic, does this mean that all freshmen and sophs have the extra year, too? I ask b/c for I guess I thought/assumed that the extra year of eligibility offered was only for seniors.And if that is true, doesn't that mean that the whole "players on scholarship" conundrum will continue for the next three years...as opposed to sorting itself out after next year (if it were only seniors who were offered that extra year)?

Pardon my potential ignorance here and thanks, in advance, for any help.

My understanding:

EVERYONE who was on a roster this year got a 5th year of eligibility to use if they choose to, and a 6th year in which to play it if needed.

The extra year rules only kick in when a player has completed his or her 4 years and intends to return for a fifth. Through the first four years the scholarship counts against the 13 scholarship annual limit. For the fifth year it will not — as long as s/he does not opt to transfer to another school. Transfers retain their 5th year of eligibility, but their new school will have to count them against their annual 13.

And taking redshirt years are still allowed, so a player could be on campus for 6 years and play for 5 years (like Mitch next year).

So anyone who was a true freshman on this year’s roster could play his or her last year in AY2024-25, or AY2025-26 if they opt to take a redshirt year in the future.

This is actually a great deal for true student athletes as they get 6 paid years to get a bachelors degree and an advanced degree. If they can finish their undergraduate degree in 3 years they could conceivably get a PhD (usually 3 years minimum) on the school’s dime by the time they are done playing.

And it is my understanding that the NCAA has set up a fund which programs may tap if they could not otherwise fund the extra rides out of their budgets. And no, I do not know what exact metrics the program must meet to tap that fund.

Hopes this helps.B)

If anyone knows I’ve erred somewhere above, please chip in, and thanks!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26963 by CorpusJayhawk
Yes, what HE said is also my understanding. And to finish the thought and address Porthawk's question, yes indeed, the roster chaos will continue for 3 more years. Who it really potentially hurts are the incoming freshmen for the next 4 years. Of course, the 5* guys will always be candidates to get many minutes. But 4* and below could really suffer in terms of minutes played. For instance, in the 22-23 season, Christian Braun could opt for his 5th year. He would likely command a lot of minutes just because of his development and maturity. Thus, minutes that would have gone to a freshman will now go to Christian. That is true for all incoming freshmen for the next 4 years.

Now having said that, that is only looking at it through the lens of baloncesto (practicing my Espanol). On the flip side, this is actually a boon to all the players on the roster this season for precisely the reasons HE elucidated. It is like expanding the roster limit for 4 or 5 years (depending on potential redshirts). So more young people will get free rides from the hundreds of schools impacted. So on net, this is a very good thing. If you are an incoming freshman athlete in the next 4 years and you are wanting playing time, it is not a good thing.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, porthawk

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26965 by HawkErrant
Corpus, thanks for adding the impact on incoming freshmen. I was focused solely on the extant student-athletes and the benefits to them and truthfully to coaches who suddenly can have an extra quality player or two on the roster until AY2024-25, or as far as AY2025-26 for any freshman on this past season’s roster who opts to redshirt. I did not stop to look at potential negative aspects of the COVID-19 rules, thanks for covering them!

The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #26966 by porthawk
Thanks for the explanation HE and Corpus. Definitely makes sense now and interesting to know it'll last for the next few years.