Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

MUSCADIN LEAVING / NEW COMMIT -- JEFF BOSCHEE with the ASSIST!

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26915 by HawkErrant
I take some time in the afternoon to do a little grocery shopping and get back home to see that Gethro Muscadin is leaving and KANSAS already has another commit lined up to replace him thanks to Missouri Southern head coach (and old school Jayhawk bomber) Jeff Boschee.

Here's the story on Gethro leaving.
KSNT.com - Francis: Jayhawks’ Muscadin enters transfer portal

Here's the story on Cam Martin moving a few miles to the NNW to the Mount Oread Aerie.
KUSports.com - Tait: KU lands commitment from 3-time Division II All-American Cam Martin .

Briefly, Missouri Southern big man Cam Martin is a 6-foot-9, 240-pound forward from Yukon, OK who was a three-time All-American for Boschee at Division II Missouri Southern in Joplin, Mo.

2020-21 he led his team in scoring (25 ppg) and rebounding (9.1 rpg), shooting 58% from the floor and 45% from 3 in 110 attempts

Yes!

Come on down, Cam!

Rock Chalk!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26917 by HawkErrant
BTW, with Muscadin leaving and Martin committing KANSAS still has 1 scholarship open and is still TTBOMK actively recruiting two high schoolers, 4* PG TyTy Washington Jr and 4* PF/C Jonas Aidoo, a 7-0/215 stretch 4/5.

What I am also reading is that UMKC CG Brandon McKissic, a really solid offensive player and a tremendous defender (3 time conference defensive first team member and Summit League DPOY last year) who KU offered last week, is probably not coming to KANSAS. That is too bad as I would really love to have a defensive stopper to replace Marcus if he decides to continue on his way and not take advantage of a potential "super senior" season. I hope McKissic will still be available if TyTy decides to go elsewhere.

All in all, the current state of flux indicates to me that we could see at least one more player leave before all is said and done. FR PG Latrell Jossell is the name mentioned most often, but I've yet to read anything other than speculation on him. As I believe I have mentioned elsewhere, I would not be surprised if he left, or if he stayed.

And I cannot rule out the possibility that Ochai or David leaves for the pros. I think Dave, with a monster season next year, can significantly improve his stock by coming back, much as Dok did. I don't think Ochai is ready for the jump, but as Corpus noted previously some NBA scouts like things they see in him that makes him perhaps a better fit in the NBA than in college game.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26918 by HawkErrant
AND another BTW -- I'm sure I am not alone in noting the orchestrated announcements coming out from KANSAS, one per day, allowing each player leaving his final KU moment in the sun before departing for hopefully sunnier climes.

Kudos to Self & Co for this, and good luck to the transfers wherever they end up!

Unless they ever end up playing KANSAS, of course!

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26940 by HawkErrant
From Shay Wildeboor of JayhawkSlant:

As most of you know, Cam Martin spent the past three years playing for Jeff Boschee. I reached out to Boschee, who is in Mexico on vacation, and he sent me a message about Martin.

"I’m so proud of Cam!! After his frosh yr at Jacksonsonville state he was about to quit b-ball. Just bad situation he was in. We we’re (sic) fortunate enough to get him at MSSU. He was unbelievable for us!! Set multiple records and many accolades. He was a 3x all American and has worked his tail off to get him to where he is right now. Coach self called me about him and is extremely excited about him. I wish nothing but the best for him and his family. He helped put Moso basketball on the map and I can’t thank him and his family enough for trusting us as a coaching staff to help him develop his game."

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26943 by AZhawk87
So this kid plays an hour from Lawrence, for an ex KU player, is a 3X all american, and we're not interested in him until three of our guys transfer and Boschee sends a last minute tape to Self to make sure he sees the kid before he commits to Stetson?

Something sure doesn't add up there.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #26944 by konza63
More like 3 hours from Lawrence :-) But I take your point.

He was D-II and a college senior, so maybe just not on their radar until Jeff reached out?

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by konza63.