Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Enaruna in the portal

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
2 years 11 months ago #26896 by HawkErrant

Another ride available.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
2 years 11 months ago #26897 by AZhawk87
I would have been shocked if he didn't enter the portal. Self actually gave him some playing time, but he never really responded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

More
2 years 11 months ago #26901 by CorpusJayhawk
So Enaruna and Grant-Foster are gone and they will not be the last. Likely at least 1 more if not 2. That is college basketball in 2021. Like it or hate it it is the law of the land. Given that reality, I don't blame either of those guys. Neither is a fit for what we need going forward. That is not a negative on them. Self said out loud what I have sort of said all along this season. We are devoid of elite skill players and we are short on athleticism. Watching Arkansas last night was an object lesson in the value of athleticism. I have said all season that KU had a nice team. Some nice athletes and some decent skill players. Unfortunately, aside from Marcus Garrett's defense and possibly Jalen's nose for rebounding, we had zero elite skills to fall back on. And we are, in terms of the 76 power 6 conferences, a thoroughly mediocre athletic team. Agbaji is a leaper but not an all-around elite athlete. We need some athletic size and some skills. Skills come from development so we either need to develop the guys we have or let them develop somewhere else and recruit through the portal. McCormack turned out to be a success story in terms of development. He is a reasonably good athlete that is on the road to being a potentially elite skill big man. Agbaji has one pretty decent skill and a fair number of decent skills and few areas of not great skills (nose for the ball, creating his own shot and ball-handling). Christian is pretty average in every category. He most likely needs to be recruited over and come off the bench as a 6th or 7th man. Jalen is coming along from his glaring weaknesses (worst 1st reaction step on defense on the team and defense in general and driving to the basket). But Jalen is a sophomore to be so should get much better. But he is just not athletic. Dajuan is the biggest question mark. Some on this board see him as the next Devonte' or Frank and that very well may be true. I have not got to that point yet but I hope that is right and could be. His offense is better than I feared but he seems to have a mind set that hinders him offensively. His actual offense when he put forth the effort was pretty good. But as we have seen with other players, if he were to become more of a focus offensively then he would receive a lot more scouting attention and we have seen how that really squashes some players numbers. I would prefer to have a player that is scout proof (or at least as scout proof as a player can be) . Some players are highly scouted but were still extremely difficult to actually stop. Both Devon and Udoka fit that category to a fair degree. We need one or two of those and now. This season was the worst offensive team under Self and the worst since 1983. We need offense which means athleticism and skill. No one on the current roster strikes me as being the answer to that need.

I would expect to see Jossell enter the portal. I don't think Muscadin will but he could. He has a chance to play with a little more weight and development. I would be shocked if anyone else entered the portal.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, wardhawk