Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

That’s gotta Smart!!!

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 4 weeks ago #26853 by HawkErrant
Seems big mouth was told to find another position.

Hmmm, hope Chris Beard is locked in at Tech.

Smart to Marquette HC job

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #26859 by LKF_HAWK
Wow! This is not good for the league, Smart was just hitting his stride.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
3 years 4 weeks ago - 3 years 4 weeks ago #26864 by konza63
Except for in the postseason, when he was a disaster (during his UT stint). :-)

To wit, his team failed to make the tourney in 2 of 5 seasons...and flamed out in round 1 in all the other 3.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 weeks ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #26868 by CorpusJayhawk
Despite his run to the Final Four in 2011, Shaka Smart has a pitiful resume in the NCAA tourney. His probability Win% is 99.7%. That is obviously below average mush less elite. His run to the FF resulted in a 4-1 record in 2011. Overall he is 8-10 so other than that one magical run which made him millions of dollars, he is 4-9. In terms of probabilistic win% he is 314th out of 517 coaches. Pretty ho hum at the very best. I will never take away the credit due for a great run to the final four, but the proof in the long haul is not positive for Mr. Smart.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
3 years 4 weeks ago #26870 by konza63
Agreed. And given the rich recruiting grounds of Texas, I just cannot see Marquette being a step up for him. I know it’s his homebase, but you can recruit so well when you’re at UT. That’s why I fear Beard going there, because his coaching aligned with that recruiting could be formidable.

Then again, the Big 12 needs to step up, outside of Kansas, as Drew and Baylor did today. So the more, the merrier, I suppose. We need to be pushed and hopefully that steps up our game in postseason.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.