Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Who is everyone pulling for in this weekend's games? (If you're still watching)

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #26829 by konza63
I know it's hard to summon much interest in the tourney once our beloved Hawks have exited the building, but for some odd reason I have some remaining interest in this year's games.

Maybe it's because I know that our primary blueblood rivals - UK, UNC, and Duke - are all gone and have no chance to get another crown. I think there is also some schadenfreude/payback sentiment in play (Hello, Villanova, Syracuse, Michigan, Oregon, and UCLA)... There's also the natural impulse to root for Cinderellas and small programs. And finally, speaking just for me, anyway, there's a desire to see the Big 12's reputation for post-season glory be improved, even when it means a competing conference program is still dancing. (Now that Misery is long gone - this sentiment wouldn't have applied for them. And I doubt I could muster it for the Grapes, either)

With the above in mind, here are my "heart" favorites (not empirical picks, my preferred winners) in the remaining 8 games:

Loyola Chicago over Oregon State (go Cinderella!)

Baylor over Villanova (Despise Villanova - KU's kryptonite, along with the PAC-12 ... and it would be good for another B12 team to get a crown)

Oral Roberts over Arkansas (go underdog...Self got his start there...and "Wooo Pig Sooie!" has to be the dumbest school chant in all of college sports) :P

Houston over Syracuse (2003...) :evil:

Gonzaga over Creighton (If the Zags finally win it all, I'll shed no tears - I like Mark Few and his program)

Florida State over Michigan (Trey Burke) :evil:

Alabama over UCLA (Ben Howland and the thug-fest game) :evil:

USC over Oregon (2017) :evil:

I'm curious what other folks' preferred outcomes are, and why...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wardhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26831 by Bayhawk
The season was over by half-time of our last game for me. Flag came down, crimson & blue string of lights turn off, well, you get the idea.

But never put me above a good-old steaming pile of schadenfreude!

I love you list with the exceptions of the zags and the university of spoiled children. I've always liked the Ducks (jeez, our mascot is a Jayhawk!), and I'm so done with the Zags.

Call me petty, just don't call me late for dinner,

--RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #26832 by konza63
Good points, Bay, and I suspect there are regionalized sentiments in play (in this case, with you and the Zags being on the West Coast) that I'm just not familiar with. I know nothing about Gonzaga (not caring to really look into the school) other than Mark Few and the basketball program, and their lack of post-season success - which far exceeds ours.

They aren't my top pick (by far) to win it all, but if it's them instead of all the schadenfreude candidates, I'll take that six ways to Sunday.

RE: Oregon, I'm still pissed at the early foul calls that took Josh Jackson out of that game for the entire first half. (Yes, I hold grudges for a long time when it comes to Jayhawk slayers) :-) That was a really bad night, sports-wise...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26834 by HawkErrant
MY preferred winners in the remaining 8 games:

Loyola Chicago over Oregon State
Check! Don’t want no Sister Jean blues!

Baylor over Villanova (Despise Villanova - KU's kryptonite, along with the PAC-12 ... and it would be good for another B12 team to get a crown)
I actually like Jay Wright and despise Scott Drew, but I do not want to see Nova get a 4th NC (would be Wright’s 3rd in the last 5 tournaments), and I would like to see more cred for the Big 12, so Check!

Oral Roberts over Arkansas (go underdog...Self got his start there...and "Wooo Pig Sooie!" has to be the dumbest school chant in all of college sports) :P
Check!

Houston over Syracuse (2003...) :evil:
I am torn here. Can’t pick, dislike them both, I’m in full meteor strike mode on this one!.

Gonzaga over Creighton (If the Zags finally win it all, I'll shed no tears - I like Mark Few and his program)
Agreed, and the Zags may be the only team that can stop Nova from winning it all — but I wouldn’t mind seeing Creighton continue on, either. For me the Nova insurance gives the Zags the edge.

Florida State over Michigan (Trey Burke) :evil:
Check!

Alabama over UCLA (Ben Howland and the thug-fest game) :evil:
Check!

USC over Oregon (2017) :evil:
Torn, but have to side with Altman. Enfield is okay, too, but Altman winning has to be a sore spot with at least some of the kittens, so... :evil:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk