Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Recruiting: Transfers out and in

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 4 days ago #26821 by HawkErrant
First allow me to quote the great John Banner in character in the role he is remembered for — “I know noth-inguh! NOTH-inguh!”

Having gotten that disclaimer out of the way..,

ONE of the known facts at this point is this — barring a scholarship undergraduate leaving the team for whatever reason, the 3 scholarship openings Kansas definitely has for next season are already obligated to HS signees Zach Clemence and KJ Adams and JUCO transfer commitment Sydney Curry (as far as I know, no relation to Steph).

NOW there is a lot of talk going on that Self and company are talking to a lot of players in the transfer portal, especially proven point guards and long shooters looking to make a move in this free transfer year.

GIVEN “ONE” above, Self & Co clearly have ideas about who will and won’t be back next year that include someone or a couple of someones transferring out.

This transfer out stuff is all talk at the moment, some with claims to being well sourced, others speculation. But by their actions Self & Co are indicating that there will be movement we don’t know of yet.

So, don’t be surprised if Tyon Grant-Foster leaves after this semester. His name gets the most scuttlebutt, to include claims of sourced information close to TGF.

Anyone else? Nobody as strongly discussed as TGF, but the transfer recruiting tales of Self & Co consistently mention a PG and a long outside shooter, so the signs are that they expect at least one more transfer out.

Getting mentions are Latrell Josell, who saw very little playing time this year (27 minutes total) and might be looking for a place he thinks he will get PT next year, especially if a transfer PG comes on board.

Then there is Gethro Muscadin, our 6-10/220 freshman who saw all of 33 minutes this past season. With big men Zach Clemence (Rivals #35, 6-10/205 PF) and Sydney Curry (JUCO JR, 6-9/265) coming in to compete for 4 and 5 PT next season, could Gethro be looking for greener PT pastures?

All good questions.

So don’t be surprised if 1 to 3 guys with plenty to play for go looking for a place or places where they actually can.

But I for now will fall back on Sergeant Schultz’ famous denial.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
3 years 4 days ago #26822 by konza63
I'd love for us to get that high-scoring guard out of Northeastern...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
3 years 4 days ago #26824 by CorpusJayhawk
Agreed on all players. In today's NCAA transferring is like walking across the street. Little risk and very easy to do. Enaruna could also be a candidate. And Agbaji and McCormack will likely test the NBA waters. I discussed Agbaji with my NBA source and he set me straight. I said I just did not see the skills in Agbaji like ball-handling. He explained the difference in the NBA and the NCAA and explained how Agbaji is much more of a candidate for the NBA even though he is not excelling in the NCAA. It actually made sense and reiterated why I am not an NBA fan. We could have a very different looking team next season.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 4 days ago #26825 by HawkErrant
Good stuff on both OA and Big Dave, thanks Corpus!

Yeah, I should have mentioned that there is talk about Tristan looking elsewhere, too. Again, no sources.

For konza...
Here's a good example of the the type of PG KU is pursuing in the transfer portal...
Northeastern PG Tyson Walker

Here are his stats for his two years at Northeastern.

Here's another offer that KU has made to a transfer PG per Rivals
UMKC Roos Brandon McKissic
Scuttlebutt is that this is a conditional offer by KU, a Plan B if you will.

And there is some question about whether McKissic and his friend and cousin Jordan Goodwin (St Louis senior) might try to go somewhere to play together in their COVID-19 super senior years. Goodwin's stats aren't the greatest, but he apparently excels at bully ball, and KU could use someone with that kind of attitude again. I'm not sure, but since they would be changing teams I think they would count against their new team's scholarship limits. I have not seen that question addressed before.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 4 days ago #26826 by HawkErrant
My first thought after posting the previous comment was Dave is the one person I really think we need back next year. I see him getting better (he saw how Dok improved) and I think he will be our anchor in the middle.

But who knows?

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 4 days ago #26827 by HawkErrant
Another name being mentioned at PG - Rivals #32 4* Tyty Washington
n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/ty-ty-washington-jr-232618

From Rivals.com
He verbally committed to Creighton in mid-November. Washington backed off that pledge following the suspension of Bluejays head coach Greg McDermott, who found himself in hot water for his use of the word “plantation” to describe his basketball program.

Now back on the market, Washington is hearing from schools that span conferences and time zones.

1. ILLINOIS
Illinois was the runner-up so to speak when Washington committed to Creighton, so expect Brad Underwood and company to be involved once again as the point guard looks for a new landing place.

Washington took an unguided, self-funded visit to Champaign in late October, which signaled his interest in the program. The Illini aren’t a sure thing by any stretch, as a lot has changed since Washington’s initial commitment, but the fact that he’s been able to see the campus with his own two eyes will keep Underwood in the mix.

2. KENTUCKY
The Wildcats, who haven't offered but are in need of a point guard, wasted no time contacting Washington when news of his decommitment from Creighton broke. UK seems unlikely to land five-star target Hunter Sallis, who is expected to choose Gonzaga, so Washington would be a suitable replacement on that front.

If an offer arrives, expect John Calipari to be at the center of the Washington sweepstakes until the end. Making things official with an offer could catapult Kentucky to the top of this list.

3. ARIZONA STATE
The Sun Devils were a player for Washington the first time around and could be again. The four-star point guard is familiar with the campus, having visited on several occasions. He’s also close with ASU assistant Anthony Coleman.

The allure of home is in play here, and it seems like Tempe would be the destination should he opt to stay close to his Arizona home.

A NEW SCHOOL ON THE RADAR
Schools such as Duke, Oklahoma State, Kansas and Pitt are among those that have involved themselves since Washington parted ways with Creighton. Any of those three seem like somewhat viable options depending on how hard they plan to push in the weeks ahead.

The allure of Kansas is likely hampered by the looming NCAA situation. Duke is in the market for a guard and has a commitment from five-star prospect Paolo Banchero, with whom Washington has some semblance of a relationship. Convincing Washington to come across the country will be a tall task for a school like Pitt without a little luck and end of the pandemic-induced dead period.

Oklahoma State recently offered Washington and could be a sleeper pick here. The Cowboys are worth keeping an eye on in the weeks ahead.

The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, jaythawk1