Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Where this season ranks

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 5 days ago #26781 by CorpusJayhawk
I have spent way more time and money than is sensible to acquire the data and build my DPPI to run across seasons. I'm sure I will continue to tinker and tweak it until I die because that is what programmers do. But I think it is at least to a point that is has enough validity to start using it. The tables below are the various adjusted ratings and ranking for the seasons back to 1989. I actually have the data back to 1950 but it is more meaningful to compare the Williams and Self eras.

Bottom line, this season ranks overall as the 29th team of 33. Only the 2000 season, 2019 season (my least favorite), 1999 season and 1989 season are worse. Offensively, this year was 32nd of 33. Who could possibly have been worse you ask? The 1999 season was just ever so slightly worse 1.103 compared to 1.100. Defensively, this team was not too bad. And these numbers include last night's game. Defensively this team was 11 of 33. Not too bad. This team was just really limited offensively.

I was surprised that the 2008 team was not the top rated across the board. It was top rated overall by all three ratings. And it was the No. 1 rated defensively. But the 1997 and 2002 teams were just a fraction better.

Here is a very important factor in my premise that great teams need a few great players. 2 of the 5 worst teams since 1989 are the 2019 and the 2021 teams. But the 202 team is much closer to the top (mostly because of defense). But the main difference in 2020 and 2021 and to some degree 2019, is Devon Dotson and Udoka Azubuike (specifically the senior version of Udoka Azubuike which was unlike the freshman, sophomore or junior versions). Having those two guys who were assassins, in different ways, was a key.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, hairyhawk, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, Socalhawk, porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 5 days ago #26795 by HawkErrant
Thanks, Corpus!

Do you have an updated link to the DPPI I can post in the pinned thread?
The link there only includes games up to Feb 27, 2021.

Thanks again!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• CorpusJayhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 5 days ago #26797 by CorpusJayhawk
HE, Link is updated.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 4 days ago #26802 by HawkErrant
Corpus, love this stuff, thanks!

First, can you add in the Brown era? I understand the logic and the emotion behind comparing Bill and Roy, but to this day Larry, despite his flaws, is my favorite KUHC. And I would love to see where the 1986 team fits in this ranking, as it is my favorite team of all the KU teams that I have seen.

Second, an errata notice — I just noticed that 2012 is missing in your tables. 2013 is listed twice.

Thanks again!B)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• CorpusJayhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 days ago #26807 by CorpusJayhawk
Ask and you shall receive. HE, I took it back to 1950. Plus I included a summary table by coach. You can see where they all rank in all categories. That 1986 season was a special season for sure. Ranks only behind 2008, 1957 1nd 1997. Let me know if you would like to see anything else.

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 4 days ago #26813 by HawkErrant

CorpusJayhawk wrote: Ask and you shall receive. HE, I took it back to 1950. Plus I included a summary table by coach. You can see where they all rank in all categories. That 1986 season was a special season for sure. Ranks only behind 2008, 1957 1nd 1997. Let me know if you would like to see anything else.

Thanks, Corpus!

Here’s the link to your tables kurcc.com/dppi_ranking/DPPI-Upload.htm

I note that 2012 is still missing, while 2013 is shown twice.

Thanks again!