Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Another #1 falls

• JhawkMom
  • JhawkMom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #1925 by JhawkMom
Tough tough season for sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 3 months ago #1927 by LKF_HAWK
Yep Mom, this is going to be a bear of a league season. Hawks need to be on guard each and every night.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1936 by NotOstertag
Even the TCU/Tech game was a good one last night. ISU is a couple games out of the lead, yet they played great.

There's really no doubt that the Big 12 is crazy strong this year, and clearly the toughest league top to bottom. At this point, IMHO, KU/WVU/OSU are the teams to beat, but ISU & Baylor are absolutely for real and have a legitimate chance. And road games at OSU, KSU, Tech, TCU and Texas won't be gimmies for anybody.

Bottom line, I'm predicting that the eventual winner will be the team with the best away record at KU, ISU, OU and Baylor. If you can win 2 of those and not make any major blunders (win at home, win 1/2 of your road games), you've got a great chance, and you'd need to win at least 1 of those to stay in contention. We blew our chance at WVU, so OU and ISU on the road loom large.

BTW, we typically have a tough time at OSU. This is truly a "1 game at a time" situation.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #1945 by HawkErrant
Think u meant OU several places u wrote OSU? E.g., KU/WVU/OU being the top 3?
Thanks.

P.s. - I'm not at home to double check, but I believe OSU is only conference road site where Self does not have a winning KU record.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #1947 by NotOstertag
Correct. OSU not in the top groups. Got a little frisky fingered. ;)

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #1960 by HawkErrant
I had forgotten that Self had .500 records at both WVU and Texas entering the season.

Until the loss at WVU this month, OSU had been the only Big 12 road court where Self has a losing record since coming to KU.

And of course it is possible for Texas to join that elite club with a win in Erwin this year.
SELF'S BIG 12 ROAD RECORD			
with KU thru 2015-01-18			
CURRENT	W	L	%
BU	7	1	0.875
ISU	9	3	0.750
KSU	8	4	0.667
OU	5	3	0.625
OSU 	3	5	0.375  One of two losing B12 road records
TU 	4	4	0.500  Only other non-winning B12 road record
TT 	6	3	0.667
TCU 	7	1	0.875
WVU 	6	7	0.462  Other losing B12 road record
SubTotals
	55	31	0.640
FORMER MEMBERS			
A&M	5	0	1.000
MU	5	4	0.556
CU	8	0	1.000
NU	7	1	0.875
Sub	25	5	0.833
Big 12 Totals
	80	36	0.690

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"