Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Which PG would you want next year?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 1 month ago #26466 by HawkErrant
With the uncertainty on whether or not Marcus will return for a "super senior" season along with Mitch and Chris, there is a lot of Internet chatter on who will be KU's starting PG next year and who's available as transfers. So I've been reading about the available (yet to decide on a new home) potential PG transfers in the portal that might represent immediate, seasoned help for KU in AY2021-22.

Here are the most recent stat lines on three seasoned players who could possibly be starting PG for KANSAS in AY2021-22.

Who do you choose?
P	GP	MIN	FG%	3P%	FT%	REB	AST	BLK	STL	PF	TO	PTS
1	27	32.9	47.6	31.5	77.3	3.8	3.2	0.1	1.0	1.2	1.8	12.7
2	18	28.6	42.6	32.1	78.7	3.4	5.7	0.2	1.3	3.1	3.3	14.2
3	25	32.6	44.7	29.4	79.7	4.5	3.6	0.4	1.5	2.3	2.0	10.2

All three have received at least All-Conference mention of some type in their respective careers.
One is an Ivy League player, the other two are from Power conferences.

All three are well over 6'1" in height.
..P2 has an inch and 30 lbs on P1.
..P3 has 2 inches on and weighs 5 lbs less than P2.

Sadly I've found no readily available stats beyond Steals that really help indicate a player's defensive skills, which would be of critical concern when looking for a starting PG. Don't want every other G in the league blowing past him or shooting over him on every play.

So, just using this blind "pig in a poke" selection process, who do you choose?:huh:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, Socalhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 1 month ago #26467 by CorpusJayhawk
I'll take the player behind door No. 3 Monty.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #26470 by HawkErrant

CorpusJayhawk wrote: I'll take the player behind door No. 3 Monty.

Anybody else before I ask CJ to defend his choice?
(I can wait...)

And do you know who 1 and 2 are, CJ?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant.

More
3 years 1 month ago #26472 by AZhawk87
I'd take P2. High assists, but too high on turnovers, which I believe Self would correct in his system.

Any transfer would be a short term solution, and I'd take a guy who shows more affinity to getting others involved, than one who looks for his own points and who might be a score first "show the NBA what I can do" type guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
3 years 1 month ago #26474 by CorpusJayhawk
Actually my preference is Hunter Sallis as a HS recruit. KU has had a number of very effective PG’s and they have been all over the map in terms of skill set. From Jacque Vaughn to Kirk Hinrich to Mario Chalmers to Tyshawn Taylor to RussRob, to aAdonis Jordan to Cedric Hunter to Kevin Pritchard to Steve Woodberry to Ryan Robertson to Sherron Collins to Elijah Johnson to Frank Mason to Devonte’ Graham to Devon Dotson. Each had a strength and weakness. I’d be hard pressed to pick one from this list. Jacque or Mario were probably the most well-rounded in terms of offense, defense and facilitation. Kirk and Sherron were great offensively. Tyshawn, Devon and Frank were the best penetrators. It is hard to pick a guard from stats. You really have to see the whole package.

More
3 years 1 month ago #26475 by Socalhawk

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 1 month ago #26476 by HawkErrant

CorpusJayhawk wrote: Actually my preference is Hunter Sallis as a HS recruit.
... It is hard to pick a guard from stats. You really have to see the whole package.

I agree, about Sallis (my understanding is our prospects aren’t great with him, but he hasn’t decided anything yet), and with needing to see the whole package in making PG decisions. And everything else, really.

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 1 month ago #26478 by HawkErrant

HawkErrant wrote: With the uncertainty on whether or not Marcus will return for a "super senior" season along with Mitch and Chris, there is a lot of Internet chatter on who will be KU's starting PG next year and who's available as transfers. So I've been reading about the available (yet to decide on a new home) potential PG transfers in the portal that might represent immediate, seasoned help for KU in AY2021-22.

Here are the most recent stat lines on three seasoned players who could possibly be starting PG for KANSAS in AY2021-22.

Who do you choose?

P	GP	MIN	FG%	3P%	FT%	REB	AST	BLK	STL	PF	TO	PTS
1	27	32.9	47.6	31.5	77.3	3.8	3.2	0.1	1.0	1.2	1.8	12.7
2	18	28.6	42.6	32.1	78.7	3.4	5.7	0.2	1.3	3.1	3.3	14.2
3	25	32.6	44.7	29.4	79.7	4.5	3.6	0.4	1.5	2.3	2.0	10.2

All three have received at least All-Conference mention of some type in their respective careers.
One is an Ivy League player, the other two are from Power conferences.

All three are well over 6'1" in height.
..P2 has an inch and 30 lbs on P1.
..P3 has 2 inches on and weighs 5 lbs less than P2.

Sadly I've found no readily available stats beyond Steals that really help indicate a player's defensive skills, which would be of critical concern when looking for a starting PG. Don't want every other G in the league blowing past him or shooting over him on every play.

So, just using this blind "pig in a poke" selection process, who do you choose?:huh:

FYI
Player 1 is Cornell's Terrance McBride, who I just learned recently committed to Rice, so take his name off the table.

Player 2 is Pitt's Xavier Johnson, who just recently entered the portal and has a lot of KU fans talking about him.

Player 3 is our own Marcus Garrett, who I would be quite happy to see decide to stay one more year.
As already discussed, need to see the whole package, not just stats.

And if KU could possibly land Omaha's Hunter Sallis (5*, Rivals #7), I'd be ecstatic, but from the "experts" leanings I think that's a long shot (Zags are the favorite, with UK second).

More
3 years 1 month ago #26479 by CorpusJayhawk
I kind of suspected that was Marcus. That is why I chose No. 3. I would take Marcus back in a heartbeat although I would prefer him to be playing off the ball a little more and have a true elite PG by his side ( a la Devon Dotson).

More
3 years 1 month ago #26480 by Illhawk
Dajuan Harris I could see him progress from freshman rotation player progress to starter next year and eventually a star.
I did not notice how great Frank Mason was/would become until he was a sophomore.

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 1 month ago #26481 by HawkErrant
Excellent point on Dajuan, Illhawk.

I would love to see him make the sophomore jump (instead of the sophomore slump) next season, negating the need for finding another PG to run the show (preferably with Marcus at 2)