Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Can we catch Kentucky this year?

• hoshi
  • hoshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #26462 by hoshi
Can we catch Kentucky this year? Probably not but one can dream.

www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blog...rticle249593193.html

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, Socalhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 1 month ago #26463 by HawkErrant
Mathematically possible with a potential 10 wins left for KU and only trailing UK, who has yet to right their ship this year, by 6 as we discuss this,

Unlikely, though. Earning all 10 of those potential KANSAS Ws would mean finishing AY2020-21 on an 11 game winning streak and winning both the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments, something we want, of course, but highly unlikely to happen. AND then there is the question of how many more games UK wins.

It does seem unlikely that UK makes any postseason except the SEC Tournament this year. UK is currently 8-14 record, and is likely to end the regular season 9-15. So barring UK winning the SEC automatic bid no NCAAT seems certain, and no postseason NIT is not unrealistic. Still, with every win UK earns, KU's "finish line" to pass UK this post-season gets pushed further down the road.

IF (and its a BIG IF) UK does not win another game this season, if (another BIG IF) KU can win any combination of 7 games the rest of the way -- which would require deep runs in both its postseason tournaments -- KANSAS could finish the postseason on top of the leader board.

But I feel like we are in that TV insurance commercial where the old fisherman (Big Insurance proxy) dangles the payoff *juuuust* out of reach of the insured -- "Ooooh, you almost got it!"

At this point my personal hopes for our KANSAS JAYHAWKS are that they just win the next game, and worry about subsequent games afterward.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
3 years 1 month ago #26465 by big g
agree hawk! much more likely we pass them for good next year which is just fine with me. some irony isnt it that in a disappointing year like this team gained more games on kentucky than probably any year in recent times.

More
3 years 1 month ago #26468 by LKF_HAWK
Just win is a good motto for the Hawks! Focus on the game at hand and the rest will fall where it falls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hoshi

• hoshi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #26484 by hoshi
I did say dream. I thought the article, from a UK source, showed their angst for this year and may be the next. Is Calapari looking over his shoulder?

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 1 month ago #26485 by HawkErrant

hoshi wrote: I did say dream. I thought the article, from a UK source, showed their angst for this year and may be the next. Is Calapari looking over his shoulder?

Always got to have a dream, hoshi!:)

I found the article interesting for the same reason. And I would love for them to have another off year, followed by Calipari leaving.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• hoshi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #26486 by hoshi
As much as I had angst about this year's KU team, I see high quality people who really want to win as a team. Thus our recent improvement. Not sure Calipari recruits with any of that in mind. I also think that some of the OAD coaches are looking over their shoulders with the NCAA scrutiny going on with the recruitment of the OAD athletes. I think next year is going to be interesting. I think Self recruited student athletes that are not put off with the implications of any NCAA investigations because they are dedicated to KU and the coaching staff. So we might not have the great athletes but with have excellent athletes playing with pride.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk