Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Lightfoot and Teahan returning next season...

• bklynhawk
  • bklynhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #26425 by bklynhawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 1 month ago #26426 by newtonhawk
Give Mitch a few more years and he will pass Perry Ellis for the longest tenure! :P

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 1 month ago #26427 by HawkErrant
Okay, so Mitch and Chris -- and perhaps Marcus, who is still undecided -- will stay for a 5th year (actually a 6th for Mitch) thanks to the NCAA allowing all players this season an additional year of eligibility.

If this has been answered, my bad for missing it.

Do the scholarships of such players impact the normal 13 scholarship players per year limit, or are they in addition to that limit for the next 4 years? (since as I understand it the extra year is available to everyone who plays this year, from senior down to freshman).

Thanks!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• bklynhawk
  • bklynhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #26432 by bklynhawk
HawkErrant, reading this it looks like scholarship limits are adjusted for returning players...
www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-cente...es-impacted-covid-19
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 1 month ago #26433 by HawkErrant
Bklynhawk, thanks for the link addressing the NCAA spring sports decision. I had searched for a similar notice a long time ago specifically addressing winter sports when they made hat decision and did not find it. I wrote to Michelle Hosick at the NCAA asking about winter sports back in December. She wrote me back, but didn't really answer my question (guess I wasn't clear on what I was asking).

Excerpt
"Members also adjusted financial aid rules to allow teams to carry more members on scholarship to account for incoming recruits and student-athletes who had been in their last year of eligibility who decide to stay."

Yes, it would be reasonable that once the winter sports were added to the list that they would be treated the same way. I'm just being highly, super suspicious of the NCAA unless they put something in clear, specific terms.

Thanks again!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 1 month ago #26437 by HawkErrant