Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Cheick and playing time...

More
8 years 3 months ago #1907 by Kong
It seems that both Bragg and Diallo create quite a conundrum for Self.

www2.kusports.com/news/2016/jan/16/willi...game-knowledge-expa/

From the article:

Self said he went into the TCU game figuring Diallo and fellow frosh Carlton Bragg, Jr. (10 points, four boards, 16 minutes) would get more playing time that usual.

“Obviously TCU plays a lot of bigs,” Self said of the Horned Frogs, who fell to 9-8 overall and 1-4 in league games; KU is 15-2, 4-1. “Those (two) guys did some good things. They have certainly earned some more minutes. They are getting better, no question about it. Cheick’s attitude has been so good. You can’t help but get better when you care as much as he does."

“He’s a fabulous kid. Everybody wants to play and he wants to play. You can see how raw he is, but you can also see how he can do some things to change a game that nobody else in our program can. We’ve got to get him more minutes. He’s earned them, but it also would definitely help our team down the stretch if he is a little more seasoned player. There’s no way he can get there unless we give him a chance to work through some things. I’m really pleased with his attitude.”

Comments:

Why do I say that they create a conundrum for Self? Because he openly admits that these guys are better than some of those playing ahead of them; He openly admits that they will not progress without playing time; He openly admits that getting them experience will help in the long run. Yet he consistently sits them on the end of the bench.

We all know that Self is a guy that values defense and hustle. We all know that Self can install more of his offense with players who have been within the system longer. We all know that Self values wins over teaching experience and the latter may be the one thing that hurts us in the long run and holds both Bragg and Diallo back.

Let's see if he can get those two more minutes so that they can develop into the players HE KNOWS they are.

Visualize Whirled Peas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 3 months ago #1908 by Bayhawk
Nice post Kong. A quick glance at the schedule shows only two "cupcakes" (@ TCU and TT at home). All the other games seem to me to be "for real." Where HCBS is going to find some "fluff" time for the young men to learn in vivo is a conundrum indeed. :dry:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 3 months ago #1911 by NotOstertag
One of the bright spots on Saturday was watching Cheick swat balls away from the rim. I could watch that all day long. Nevertheless, he's a whole lot offensively "raw" than anybody else out there (including Lucas in that statement). Bragg seems to be more well-rounded and "readier" to get more minutes, so I think we'll see him getting more time sooner than Cheick.

In the end, it's really not that difficult to figure out. He sees Hunter, Landon, Carlton and Cheick (and Jamari) in practice every day. Hunter and Landon will eventually be surpassed by Carlton and Cheick. HCBS will see it in practice before we see it in games.

There are essentially 2 scenarios that HCBS has to work with:
1.) With Perry in the game: that' leaves one spot. Seems like HCBS wants somebody with size and defensive ability there. That's why Hunter and Landon have been in that role so far this year. Carlton will get some time there, as will Jamari, but I think that spot will eventually be Cheick's primary role.

2.) Without Perry in the game: Obviously this is the alternate scenario with Perry averaging 30-something minutes a game. When Perry goes out, I think that's a Jamari/Carlton scenario if we want to stay big. That, of course, opens up the other spot (5) for Hunter, Landon, and eventually Cheick. 2b.) would be if/when we want to go small, and then you'd see Svi or Brannan in the mix.

Bottom line, I feel like sometimes the LJW takes one post-game interview, and then takes the half dozen or so off-hand comments from HCBS, and then spins each on into its own story whether it deserves it or not. Bottom line, Perry was in foul trouble on Saturday, and that combined with TCU not being a huge challenge of a game (we made it challenging, not them), it gave HCBS some ability to let Cheick and Carlton get some experience.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #1914 by porthawk
I feel like sometimes the LJW takes one post-game interview, and then takes the half dozen or so off-hand comments from HCBS, and then spins each on into its own story whether it deserves it or not.

This is an interesting observation, NotO. I tend to agree with that!
Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by porthawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 3 months ago #1915 by Sieverling
That's definitely what they do with his weekly press conference.

Hic manebimus optime
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #1932 by konza63
www.rockchalk.com/index.php/forum/basket...ops-this-season#1699

This is the $64 million question for KU hoops this season:

Who will step up to be The Man at the 5 spot?

For all intents and purposes, it is the most glaring weakness and uncertainty on this team...and as such, the most burning question whose answer will greatly determine how successful we are in both the regular season and postseason.

I'm very close to going so far as to conclude that, should Coach Self and the staff fail to fully develop Diallo and/or Bragg by Tourney Time, we will not be in a position to compete for the national championship. That's how serious this flaw is, in my book. And I'm pretty concerned that neither garnered sufficient minutes during the non-con part of the schedule, which is easily the best time to teach, to play with minutes, and to allow players with the most upside to play through mistakes in order to grow, gain crucial experience, and begin to gel with the likes of Perry at the 4 spot.

All year long, Coach has been basically rolling the dice (or going to his Ouija board) each game in search of guidance for who he should play the most and/or step up next to Perry to complement his game. He has all but admitted as much, when asked who he sees as our key big next to Perry, by saying he really doesn't know. That speaks to the up-and-down inconsistency in the games of all those bigs, the holes that each one has in key aspects of his game, and the fact that none have stepped up as a result to make Self's decision an easy one.

This is going to be the most interesting aspect to watch as the weeks ahead unfold, in my view. That and the question of whether our most experienced players are going to discover the necessary yet sometimes-elusive killer instinct in their game. We have talent and winners, but you have to have an assassin mentality--one that says "only one team is coming off this floor alive (i.e., as the winner), and it's mine." I just don't see that yet (still) in the likes of Ellis, Selden, and others. Ellis and Selden are the most disappointing in that aspect for me. Frank is the closest thing to having an assassin mentality that we have, but even he needs to feel it more consistently. (That Morgantown game in front of all of his family, who drove from VA in the snow to watch him play, was a real downer)

I realize I'm being very tough (and, yes, blunt) in my critique, but keep in mind that I'm talking about what I think is needed to win it all, not just be a very good team that can compete for another Big 12 title. Calling it like I see it, for good or bad, at this juncture of the season. Hope we see some really marked growth in coming games and weeks.

Stay tuned...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by konza63.