Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Here's the answer to determining a Big 12 regular season champ

• newtonhawk
  • newtonhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #26379 by newtonhawk
Matt Tait gives an explanation HERE .

It sounds a bit strange, but I am not a statistician. I would be interested in opinions from those who know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, Socalhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 1 month ago #26385 by NotOstertag
It's clearly "one way of doing it", but I think it's flawed because it doesn't take opponent records into account. For example, if you played KSU twice and didn't play Baylor at all, your schedule would be MUCH easier than somebody who had to play Baylor twice and didn't get a shot at KSU. I haven't gone through the whole schedule to see the reality of these scenarios, but in the end it lays out a very uneven playing field. Even when the Big 12 was split into north/south and everyone didn't play everyone 2x, it was a fairer process.

I think no matter how they cut it the "regular season champ" will have a H U G E asterisk next to it because there was no such thing as a "regular" season. I do think that any of the methods being kicked around are probably fine for conference tournament seeding, but to declare a regular season champ with such randomness in everyone's schedule seems a little off.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, LadyHawk, hoshi, KMT, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.