Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Different expectations for Svi?

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #1873 by AZhawk87
Despite his apparent prolific shooting in practice, Svi seems to be a dud hitting threes in games. He clanks more that he swishes.

But, I saw a slashing, scoring Svi yesterday that was very impressive. And, he looked naturally more comfortable in that role. He made some nice spin moves and finished at the hoop athletically. Maybe he's been pigeon holed as a three point threat and that's not his game - as the announcers said a couple times yesterday.

Is there room in the rotation for a Svi who slashes and scores at the hoop? I hope so.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 3 months ago #1875 by Bayhawk
If Fran (the tank) continues to get beat up* (because of his relentless style of play), then we might need a back up point guard with Graham. Svi could fill the bill IMHO.
* Jinx, double jinx, personal jinx.

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 3 months ago #1877 by Kong
I see him as potentially being another Seldon. Wayne also slashes to the basket effectively and has decent handles.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
8 years 3 months ago #1879 by hoshi
He has been getting much better on defense as well looks quicker. Also blocked a shot. He us 6'8".

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein

More
8 years 3 months ago #1880 by Kong
unfortunately, the one he seems to be known for is shooting and it hasn't been all that impressive.

He passes the ball very well, slashes to the basket well, been getting much better on D, etc. He could be the guy that explodes for us next year.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
8 years 3 months ago #1889 by NotOstertag
They said yesterday that he was somewhat mis-billed as a shooter. He apparently is working on his shooting, but some of his open floor moves were pretty impressive. Nevertheless, if he's not a shooter, maybe its just misguided expectations on the part of us fans.

I agree with the Selden comment. If he's 6'7" (or listed at 6'8") then he's either a big guard or a small forward. I could also see him being a competent PG. Still a work in progress.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 3 months ago #1898 by Senex68
Krang's comparison of Svi to Selden is not really apt. Selden, even at this late date in his junior year, cannot use his left hand to shoot at all. And he still has a tough time against good pressure D. He's a shooter, not a driver. Svi has the ability to break down his defender, and uses his left hand deftly. He's not a great 3 point shooter, particularly when he's not set, but he's better than he was last year. If he stays one more year, and improves a bit, he'll be a 35% 3 point shooter with excellent handles and the ability to get to the rim, all at 6'7" or slightly more. I expect him to be a really good player before he leaves KU.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 3 months ago #1910 by ElectricHawk
I think Svi could be a good 3 point shooter if he would take the time to square up or get set. If the defense is on him before he can do that he needs to pass the ball.

It seems like all of our 3 point shooters are slumping a bit. Let's hope they break out of the slump at Stillwater.

More
8 years 3 months ago #1912 by Bayhawk
Welcome Electric,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 3 months ago #1913 by NotOstertag
Yes, welcome. I think you're correct that at times he rushes, but he's also been clanking 'em when he's set.

Svi's greatest advantage will be his height. If he's actually 6'8" (probably not, but whatever) he's harder to block than a smaller guard in the 6'-6'6" range. That height can also buy him a split second or so when he's left alone with a good look, as opposed to a guy like Frank who has to get a shot off quicker to get over a defender.

Bottom line, I still really like the kid. He's a great athlete and he'll get better (and probably stay 4 years).

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot