Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Plus Minus for KU this season

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 3 months ago #26025 by CorpusJayhawk
The Plus Minus stat is an interesting stat. At the end of all discussion, what really matters is outscoring the opponent and that is the singular purpose of the Plus-Minus stat. But it also has weaknesses. But for all the plusses and minuses of the Plus-Minus stat, it does serve some purpose.

Through 8 games this season, the Jayhawks plus-minus stats are really pretty amazing. Sure, Jalen Wilson is leading in every aspect of the stat but what is amazing is the almost total parity across the board on this stat among the starters and even key subs. For instance, in offensive +/-, Jalen leads since the Jayhawks score 2.03 points per minute when he is on the court. But the worst among the starters is McCormack at 1.92. That is not much spread. Likewise, on defensive +/- Wilson leads with KU allowing only 1.63 points per minute with Jalen in the game. But among the starters, the worst are McCormack and Agbaji at 1.70 points per minute. Once again very little difference. And if you are wondering, this degree of variance is unusual. In all the years I have been tracking this stat I have never seen this small variance. I'm not sure what that means other than this team appears to be incredibly balanced.

You can view the KU +/- at the link below. Yu will also my DPPI, my player ratings, my Big 12 projections and my KU projections. You will see the tabs across the bottom for the various options.

DPPI and KU Stats

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, Bayhawk, porthawk, DocBlues, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.