Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

1 Point Win

• hairyhawk
  • hairyhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #25994 by hairyhawk
I don't know about the players but that game wore me out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, Bayhawk, gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 4 months ago #25995 by AZhawk87
Crazy game. Pretty awful offense on both sides. Or maybe very good defense from both sides.

Ochai looking like a veteran. What a game.

Wilson struggled on offense, but played hard always and came up with great pressure on last shot. Well done.

McClung is one tough kid, but such a solo player. Never, ever looks to set up his teammates.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wchawk, gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 4 months ago #25997 by HawkErrant
Pleased with the defense, not so much with the offense.

And am I alone in thinking that Christian Braun was Space Cadet tonight?
Not just because his shot was off, but because so many times when something went wrong Braun was involved.
Wherever he was, I hope his normal mind set and solid game is back after this game.

Anyone know if he is 100% healthwise?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• hairyhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #25998 by hairyhawk
Looking at the box score emphasizes your point TT had 8 assist on 20 field goals. KU had 13 assists on 19 field goals. Mr. Braun had a rough game. Hopefully he will be back next game. I like how balanced this KU team is.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #26000 by hoshi
Braun had some really key rebounds. Offensively off BUT 10 rebounds.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by hoshi.

More
3 years 4 months ago #26001 by CorpusJayhawk
Braun’s shooting was off and he committed a few charges, but they were questionable and showed effort. But his defense was one of the keys to this game. And he has a nose for the ball that is outstanding, grabbing 10 rebounds. Wilson had lower numbers but again, it was more a function of the defense focusing on him and I really liked how he didn’t press. And Garrett shot poorly but played his best defense of the year and rebounded well. Even McCormack was better.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, gorillahawk

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #26004 by gorillahawk
Even the announcers noted all the bad charging/blocking calls...and they were, as Bilas said, seated above the court even higher than Bill Walton's ever been...and I may be a little off, but think I saw the first above the rim lob to, and dunk by, McCormick...instead of Abagi...used to be one of Self's bread and butter plays...thunder dunk by the tallest guy...well except for the year Eric Chenowith also tried to only put up missed jumpers and hooks and missed banked bunnies...earlier in the season Dave kept setting nice picks but was never fed by his teammates when he 'rolled'...sure hope the lob and flush comes back...soon! :)
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by gorillahawk.

More
3 years 4 months ago #26005 by NotOstertag
First and foremost, we logged a road win. We all know the formula: win your home games and go .500 on the road. Banking a road win against one of the better teams in the conference is a big deal. Tech won't let many people win in their gym this year, so it's a big deal.

I agree that the charge/block calls were off and both sides looked weak on offense. Also pretty terrible on the offensive glass.

Nevertheless, I was expecting to lose, so sneaking out of town with a road win is a coup.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, wardhawk

More
3 years 4 months ago #26007 by hoshi
I may have miss heard but that was KU's 30th or 31st opening conference game win
in a row, 18 of which were on the road. AMAZING.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein

More
3 years 4 months ago #26008 by Bayhawk
"Ground control to Christian Braun . . ." :unsure:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• hairyhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #26009 by hairyhawk
Hoshi, I want to say I agree with both your points in this thread. One, 30 conference opener wins in a row in a conference this good is incredible. Two, Mr. Braun did not shoot the ball well but did a lot to help the team win including the 10 rebounds and as Corpus pointed out strong defense. I am really impressed by how little bad calls and shots not falling affected the rest of his game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 4 months ago #26013 by HawkErrant

hairyhawk wrote: Hoshi, I want to say I agree with both your points in this thread. One, 30 conference opener wins in a row in a conference this good is incredible. Two, Mr. Braun did not shoot the ball well but did a lot to help the team win including the 10 rebounds and as Corpus pointed out strong defense. I am really impressed by how little bad calls and shots not falling affected the rest of his game.

Amen to that, hairy! So many times a bad O game leads to a bad all-around game, but not in Braun’s case last night. To me last night he seemed totally out of it on O (0-5 from the floor with 4 turnovers), yet he was in there crashing the boards and playing D. In fact the whole team defense (with the exception of a few ugly minutes in H2 before going zone to help save Dave and Braun from fouling out) was superb last night, and it needed to be.

And 30 conference openers in a row (18 away!) in any conference as tough as the Big 12 is year in and year out is simply incredible! Looking at that 18, it seems like the Big 12 schedulers keep trying to get KU an early loss to curb the enthusiasm, as it were.
Oh well...:P

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
3 years 4 months ago #26015 by NotOstertag
One other point...HCBS should maybe provide a gentle reminder not to foul guys shooing beyond the 3 point line. Just a gentle reminder. Very gentle. :D

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #26017 by hoshi
That last play was Ochai’s First Ever, game winning basket. EVER. HS, AAU, KU.
EVER.

Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by hoshi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, sasnak, Bayhawk