Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Big 12 Initial Projection - a B I G uphill battle for KU!

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #25977 by CorpusJayhawk
I finally got my DPPI up an running. It is new and improved this season. Last season it projected the winner correctly in about 81% of games. I am hoping to improve on that this season. I am calling today the beginning of the Big 12 season even though OU defeated TCU over a week ago. Incidentally, the DPPI was 0.3 points off in the margin projection for that game. Not a bad start. I know KU is ranked 5th in the AP and coaches poll. That is good and we very well may deserve that as the season progresses. But the computer algorithm is emotionless and calculates only with the data it is given which is the data for the games played. And KU is currently ranked 6th in the Big 12. Our schedule is looking less and less impressive as time goes on. Kentucky is 1-4 and Creighton just lost to Marquette. Gonzaga has only played 3 games but still looks to be in the mix for a top 2 spot. Without getting into the gory detail, my DPPI actually has two separate (but related )power rankings. The first is a straight-up raw power ranking based on the mean performance of the teams. The second as a standard deviation adjustment (sort of a consistency adjustment) which can significantly impact the probability of winning. So it is more of a true predictive ranking. When I cite only DPPI rank, I am referring to the ranking with the standard deviation adjustment. It's value is equivalent to the percent of games that team would win if they played every other team once. So, Baylor has a rating of 0.960 which means if they played every other team once, they would win 96% of those games. KU is ranked 37th in both rankings.

So, where does the DPPI see Kansas. Presently, KU is projected to win 9.4 games. I am praying that KU's performances to date have been early season jitters and learning and we are a much better team than we have shown. KU played the 196th ranked NDSU and won by 3. We played 91 ranked Kentucky and won by 3 and we lost by 12 to Gonzaga when we were projected to lose by 8. I suspect we are better than the 37th best team in the country but we have not played like it. Also, if Creighton and especially Kentucky can make a surge, that will obviously help KU's ranking.

So without further adieu, here are the metrics for KU.

Projected wins: 9. 4
Probability of winning outright Big 12 Championship: 0.2%
Probability of winning at least a share of the title: 0.8%

Baylor is the overwhelming favorite with an 81% probability of winning at least a share of the title and a 65.7% probability of winning it outright. See the chart by clicking on the link below.

Initial Big 12 Projections

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, gorillahawk, JayhawkChef

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.