Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

predictions for Tarleton State game

• asteroid
  • asteroid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #25972 by asteroid
I predict the game will be canceled.

Hey, I get it. It's tough to put together a schedule at the last minute with all the pandemic-related restrictions in place. Getting the ideal opponent might not be possible.

Hey, I get it. Billy Gillispie is a friend.

But how much was there to be gained by playing the #347 team in Division I? That's barely outside the Bottom Ten.

Shall we start an office pool to guess whether Kansas will schedule a replacement, or find a later open date to play Tarleton State?
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 4 months ago #25973 by CorpusJayhawk
I am not privy to the economics of these contacts. But given there is essentially no revenue I am inclined to think this game brought precious economic benefit. It would allow Self to try some lineups is a so-called game situation, but I am also inclined to believe that a KU practice where the starting 5 faces the next 5 is a greater challenge than Carleton St. would have offered. As a fan, I want 31 games and losing 1, much less 4 is a blow I don’t appreciate. But as to the value of this game beyond the desire of fans to see their team play, I can’t think of one. But Asa. Fan I am all f0r rescheduling. As a fan!

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
3 years 4 months ago #25974 by NotOstertag
Clearly this is just Bill's way of throwing Billy a bone, which I'm ok with. Also, with the trainwreck that this season will likely turn into, I don't know how we'll be able to crown a "legitimate" NC anyway. It's entirely likely that several NC contenders will get hit with the virus, which would likely kick them out of contention and elevate less worthy teams.

Sadly whoever wins it all this year will likely do so as much by playing well as being lucky enough not to get an outbreak. With the "two week quarantine" CDC recommendation for people who test positive, you're likely going to see teams essentially get hit with a 2 week layoff in an already shortened season. Not sure how you can bounce back from that.

Nevertheless, the game was cancelled and it doesn't look like it will be rescheduled.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot