Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Pinpointing KU's weaknesses

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #25952 by CorpusJayhawk
In three words, KU's problems can be summed up thusly "in the paint". There are several areas where KU is subpar as compared to the gauge of a championship contender but the single issue for KU thus far is play in the paint. That includes both offense and defense.

Consider this; KU has had 25 shots blacked at the rim this season. That is a ridiculously high pace. And Marcus Garrett has 11 of those 25. Heck, David McCormack has had 4 shots blocked. Our offense at the rim has been abysmal.

We have shot 47.2% from 2 point range and good percentage of those have been at the rim. For perspective, KU's 17 year average under Self for 2FG% is 53.2%. At 42 2FGA's per game that equates to 5.0 points per game we are missing purely from our poor 2FGA. And who has THE WORST 2 point FG% on the team? It is our AA candidate Marcus Garrett at 38.5% followed by our No. 1 scoring option Ochai at 38.9% followed by the guy who should have the best 2FG%, David McCormack at 40.4%. This is not good. We are led by Tristan Enaruna at 63.6%. Even our freshman Bryce Thompson is at 54.5% and he has taken some ill-advised shots. We simply have to get better at the rim and on 2 point % in general. If we do not, we will lose a bunch of games.

What about our opponents in the paint? We are blocking only 6.8% of opponents FGA. Compare that to the 17 year average of 8.7%. More directly, our opponents are 48.2% from 2 point range. For perspective, that compares to a 17 year average of 42.6%. And most of these shots are at the rim. In other words, our rim defense is something approaching dismally pathetic. If you assume 37 2FGA per game from our opponents, the difference between 42.6% and and 48.2% shooting percentage equates to 4.1 points per game.

So between our poor paint offense and our poor paint defense, we are losing 9.1 points per game. 9.1 points per game is not a small number. For instance, last season that difference in scoring would have made us 17-14 instead of 28-3. That is serious business. I think (hope) we will radically improve and quickly. But make no bones about it, the level of paint play we have had is indicative of a very mediocre Power 6 team. In fact, I have KU 56th in my DPPI currently.

Our ball-handling has been decent but not great. Our 3-point defense has been adequate. Our 3 point shooting has been adequate or slightly better. Our rebounding has been outstanding. The only other are where we have been poor relatively is in offensive flow as measured by assist%. We have assisted on 41.8% of FG's. That is pathetic and is the reason we have all observed a very herky-jerky non-flowing offense. The 17 year average assist% is 57.5%. So you can see that 41.8% is jsut mind-bogglingly horrible. The worst season under Self was 2019, the worst season we have had in 25 years when we assisted on 48.3% of FG's. Our offensive flow has been pathetic. And while that is not solely on the back of McCormack, when you do not have a big man in the middle who can get position, receive an entry pass and score at a 60-65% rate, it is a problem.

So in summary, simply stated, KU is doing a lot right this season, especially rebounding, but we thus far stink in the paint on both sides of the ball. If we do not fix this we will be in for a very long conference season with 7 or 8 losses. Incidentally, Lightfoot, never known as a particularly effective offensive player, is shooting 55% in the paint and has had zero shots blocked whereas the combination of Garrett, Agbaji and McCormack have had 15% of their 2FGA blocked. Ouch!!

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, JayhawkChef, Socalhawk, porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.