Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Coach K comments

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #25940 by NotOstertag
www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...aying-games-pandemic

Coach K is questioning the value of playing games in a pandemic, which I totally get. I just wonder how much of that is a function of Dook losing 2 home games in the first 4 games of their season so far. Cameron being "just another gym" during the pandemic seems to be hurting them.

I also wonder if Bruce Weber is having similar misgivings after getting blown out by Fort Hayes State (led by their 2nd assistant coach, no less) at the "trapezoid of incompetence" or whatever they're calling AFH West these days.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 4 months ago #25941 by Bayhawk

NotOstertag wrote: www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...aying-games-pandemic

the "trapezoid of incompetence" or whatever they're calling AFH West these days.

Too funny!!!! :P

RCJHFL

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
3 years 4 months ago #25942 by LKF_HAWK
I think we all know my thoughts about Coach K and Puke U. I am playing the world’s smallest violin. Sure sounds like sour grapes, and wasn’t he the one who said MBB could not survive if NCAAT was cancelled in 2021. This is like when he made sure his assistance coach got the L’s for the 1994-95 season when he was out with back issues...s
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk

More
3 years 4 months ago #25947 by Governors

NotOstertag wrote: www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...aying-games-pandemic

Coach K is questioning the value of playing games in a pandemic, which I totally get. I just wonder how much of that is a function of Dook losing 2 home games in the first 4 games of their season so far. Cameron being "just another gym" during the pandemic seems to be hurting them..

And here I was mentioning this exact same thought last night to a friend and thinking has anyone else pondered that thought? Glad I am not alone.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #25948 by Governors
From the Carolina boards.......

northcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/...till-a-weasel.78634/

northcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/right-on-queue.78619/

K is a hypocrite. IF he is so concerned about the safety of his team and staff, he most certainly has the option to inform the university that the team won't play this season. I know there are layers of issues surrounding a decision like that, but he would then be standing up for those young men as he has promised their families he would do. Maybe other teams would follow his example, maybe not; either way, he would be providing the leadership that he bemoans is lacking at the highest echelons of the NCAA. His GOAT status would not be tarnished, dook would never fire him, he could resume coaching next fall. For sure he wouldn't be clamoring if his team was 4-0 and had stud players resembling those teams over the last several seasons that could make a title run. This dook team is mediocre and will take plenty of lumps this season and he doesn't seem up for that challenge. Talk is cheap.

And from Deadspin.....

deadspin.com/coach-k-is-still-a-weasel-1845844144

The man at the forefront of this campaign of faux concern, as always, is Mike Krzyzewski. It would be easy to lambaste Coach K for complaining and calling for at least a pause of the college basketball season after his Duke squad got its ass waxed by Illinois in Cameron Indoor last night, as it seems awfully convenient. But he’s been on this campaign all year to be fair to him.

And yet it’s still all a load of horseshit.

It’s one thing for Jay Bilas, who is merely an employee of a broadcasting company, to bemoan the lack of leadership, or plan, or sense among the powers that be in college hoops. He can only comment, not actually pull any levers. It’s quite another for Coach K to sit there and pearl-clutch about the dangers and burden of carrying out this season in such a dangerous setting, when there is perhaps no bigger voice in the game than his.

Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Governors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, Bayhawk, gorillahawk

More
3 years 4 months ago #25953 by CorpusJayhawk
As a purist of the sport, I have a respect for COach K and all he has accomplished. I don't know anything about him personally and cannot therefore make any assessments about the man. But I do have an opinion about what he said and to express it I will quote the wonderful response that General McCauliffe gave to General von Lutwitz when von Lutwitz demanded he surrender at the Battle of Bastogne in WWI..."Nuts". I can surmise as Coach Nate Oats did that Coach K's motives are purely self-serving since he apparently has a very mediocre team this season but I will allow him to have his opinion. But I am entitled to mine and I think his proposition is RIDICULOUS as does Nate Oats, coach of Alabama. NUTS NUTS NUTS!!!

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk