Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Halftime PPP

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #25895 by CorpusJayhawk
As one would imagine, our offense against a Div 2 foe was rather effective. The defense, OTOH, was not particularly effective.

34 possessions for each team

KU PPP - 1.444
Washburn PPP - 0.941

Self can’t be happy with the defense. The lead is about right but only because we were so good offensively. Enaruna and McCormack were particularly noteworthy for pathetic defense. In general our perimeter defense was sub par. The other alarming stat is rebounding. We lead 20-17. Harris now has 13 assists to 1 TO. You know Self want to use this game as a great learning opportunity. Look for better rebounding and better defense in the 2nd half.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #25897 by CorpusJayhawk
67 possessions. A slower paced game for sure, or at least a lot more offensive rebounds. KU’s defense and rebounding was vastly improved in the 2nd half. Outrebounded them 27-12 and held them to under 0.7 PPP in 2nd half. Total domination as it should be.

KU PPP - 1.328 (wish we could do that every night)
Wash PPP - 0.806

McCormack finally slowed down and quit looking like a ping pong ball on steroids. Good to see, even though it was not exactly level 1 competition. We shot 13-256 from three. Are we really that good? I hope so. It would be bad news for the Big 12 if we are.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
3 years 4 months ago #25902 by AZhawk87
hard to take anything away from this game, other than it was fun watching the Ichabods look so happy just to be playing KU at AFH. Reminds me of a friend who played for Austin Peay when they played KU in the mid 80's. My buddy said every player got to play and guard Manning at some point - regardless of position or size. Their photographer took pictures and every guy has that memento on their shelf. He didn't care that they got thrashed.

Would really like to learn more about Enaruna. Looks so long, talented and smooth, but clearly not on Self's top nine list. I have no idea where/how he fits in to the rotation. Unfortunately may be a transfer risk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk

More
3 years 4 months ago #25903 by hairyhawk
I agree on Mr. Enaruna. I think it is his defense that HCBS is most concerned with. I think he gives too much space on the perimeter which allows shooters to get their shot off yet still gets taken on the drive with one change of direction. I think HCBS will have more to say about Mr. Grant-Foster as he was lost quite a bit on defense yesterday. Though I will concede that it is really still early in the season and they had limited practice time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #25904 by AZhawk87
Grant-Foster really makes you appreciate the level of talent at the D-1 schools.

Here's the #1 player in juco, and struggling to get playing time from KU starters who weren't highly rated themselves (Ochai and Braun), let alone the Wilson and Thompson 4-5 star studs.

Maybe time will allow Foster to shine, but he looks a lot smaller and less talented than the rest of the top 7. I sure hope he's a sleeper, and maybe a spot super nova scorer like Vick could be when he got hot.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by AZhawk87.

More
3 years 4 months ago #25905 by hoshi
Remember, this year does not count towards his eligibility, Ditto for Jossell, or any of the players for that matter. This is like a redshirt year but they get to play a bit.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, gorillahawk