Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Halftime PPP

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #25881 by CorpusJayhawk
A sloppy game all around. 36 possessions for each team.

UK - 0.972 PPP
KU - 0.805 PPP

Anemic offense but Kentucky’s length is a nightmare for the small team we put on the floor. Defense started out terrible but like last game, when Harris came on the floor it improved. Garrett is clearly not 100%. MCCormack is a total enigma. Jalen Wilson is now 0-6 on 3-pointers this season. I think the 2nd half will be another game. At least I hope,so.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• CorpusJayhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #25882 by CorpusJayhawk
Now 44 possessions and score is 38-33. KU is 0.75 PPP. My gosh, how pathetic is the offense. UK has 9 blocks. My Kingdom for a shooter.

The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• CorpusJayhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #25884 by CorpusJayhawk
KU finishes with 65 points on 65 possessions. Not great but a win. Gutsy and clutch.

The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
3 years 4 months ago #25885 by Riverhawk
Love the win, but my oh my, some ugly hoops. Glad Wilson stepped up. He certainly is aggressive, if nothing else. Kentucky's length is ridiculous.

More
3 years 4 months ago #25887 by hairyhawk
Yes Mr. Wilson is a bit over aggressive but he makes things happen. Hopefully that game will be a season low on Field Goal %.

More
3 years 4 months ago #25888 by NotOstertag
Very hard to watch. That was some ugly basketball and we're very lucky that Kentucky has no shooters. Glad we're playing some cupcakes moving on.

A few things I've noticed: we have a lot of good players, but it's a mystery who will show up at any given time. We know that Garrett can play based on history, but he's not feeling well. Ogbaji is probably the most consistent performer so far. McCormack can also play but has yet to show it. Braun, Wilson, Enaruna, and even Mitch all have either a.) been good this year at some point, or b.) have indicators from history pointing toward good things.

It would be GREAT if at least 3-4 guys showed up every night. What would be EVEN BETTER is if/when we get guys showing up every night and they start playing as a unit. Right now the "sum of our parts" could be a pretty good all-star team. Playing above the "sum of our parts" where everyone is maximizing their skills as an organized well-oiled unit is the dream that I'm sure Self is hoping to realize.

The other big thing so far this year is that I REALLY don't like playing in empty gyms. The energy level is awful and it looks like you're watching a scrimmage. I'm sure I'm not the only viewer missing the excitement of a crowd, but it feels like watching the first half of an NBA game in terms of energy level. I'm sure that will have an impact on the players. While I'm looking forward to the guys playing in AFH, it also seems very sad and I'm kind of dreading how empty and lifeless it's going to feel without the fans, the band, the noise and all the stuff that makes that place more than just a big barn.

Just hope these guys keep working and learning and staying healthy. Weird season off to a weird start.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
3 years 4 months ago #25889 by hairyhawk
I thought things flowed a bit better when Mr. Harris was on the floor. His feed to Mr. Braun cutting to the hoop for the dunk was great. Even though Mr. Braun got a T on the play. His overall line of 5 assists 4 steals and no turnovers in 25 minutes was very helpful.