Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

More drama for KU hoops - Silvio transferring

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 6 months ago #25770 by CorpusJayhawk
Man oh man this young man (Silvio) has had a tough road. I really feel for him. Seems like most of his trials have been thrust on him rather than resulting from his own actions. Be that as it may, I am rooting for him to have a great path ahead whatever that is. On the good side, welcome back Mr. Lightfoot and welcome Mr. Muscadin. Young Gethro will get to do some real ciphering this season after all and Mitch may get quite a few minutes. Mr. McCormack best learn how to play without fouling. We will need him to play 30+ minutes in some key games.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 6 months ago #25771 by bklynhawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, jayhawk969

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #25773 by HawkErrant
This morning’s print copy of the LJW...

Which is it, LJW?
(Hint: he was *never* a guard...)

Silvio was a favorite, sad to see him go.

As Konza63 said to me offline, he’s arguably the most consequential recruit KU has had since Danny Manning, only not in a good way (the long term negative impact on the program from his recruitment). Darn shame. I really like the young man, and wish him nothing but the best.

Good luck, Silvio, and Rock Chalk!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, murphyslaw

More
3 years 6 months ago #25775 by sasnak
I wish him the best. There was no better cheerleader the year he had to sit and that always impressed me. I truly do not believe that he had any part in all the BS that went down. I wish those that made money off of his misadventures find a place in Hell. If I were Silvio, I would find a very good lawyer and sue the the NCAA.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw

More
3 years 6 months ago #25776 by AZhawk87
History now shows that when a player arrives with baggage it rarely ends well. We've had a run of high profile players, with eligibility issues, who don't live up to their billing and then careers end in disappointment for everyone.

Silvio looked miserable last year, getting very little playing time, and frankly not playing well when given a chance. The fight was the end. And I suspect Gethro is better than expected and Silvio sees another year of less playing time.

Good luck to the young man.

More
3 years 6 months ago #25777 by hairyhawk
I agree with all the other posts wishing him well. I hope he finds some happiness wherever he goes. I think this hurts this years team as you can never have enough strength in the post.

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 6 months ago #25778 by CorpusJayhawk
Hairy, I am disinclined to think this hurts this season's team much if at all. My assessment is based on Silvio's previous years and assuming he did not improve any more than Mitch. I think at best, Silvio would have been third big. His shooting is (has been) so subpar that he simply isn't much of a threat and thus rendering him less valuable as a ackup to McCormack as a lone big. Silvio's ideal slot would be a team that plays 2 bigs and he can be one, not requiring him to bear much of the offensive load. Plus, Silvio's defense, while decent, is definitely behind Mitch. I think you could make a strong case that Silvio would have gotten definitely less than 10 minutes per game and likely around 7 or so. Now, those minutes will go to Gethro. While Gethro will not necessarily be any better than Silvio, it will be better for KU in the long run. From a performance standpoint, Silvio has been a disappointment for Kansas. That is hard to say since I really feel for the young man and truly strongly wish him well. But rosy glasses off, he has not delivered save for a few games late his freshman season. IMHO, he is not a good match for the KU style of play with 4 guards. Given the FBI/Adidas fiasco (which was likely not his fault) he has been a very questionable recruit in terms of value to Kansas. I have no clue what his reasons for leaving are and I take him at his word. That is why I am praying he gets his issues taken care of and finds a home that suits his skills and game well. I will be rooting for him if he lands somewhere other than a Big 12 school.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
3 years 6 months ago #25779 by hairyhawk
While I do agree with your assessment I think that through out the year there are games where you need to go deeper into your bench than you planned. Either due to foul trouble or injury or whatever. Also his strength IMO was always rebounding and several of the top teams in the Big XII are strong offensive rebounding teams. Sometimes match-ups may dictate playing different than your original plan. The other thing is practice. The better the "B" team the more they help the "A" team. All in all you can never have too many bigs on your team in College BB.