Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Miscellany

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 8 months ago #25703 by CorpusJayhawk
Here we are in a normal August starting to gear up for the new freshmen to hit Lawrence and basketball practice not far behind. Well maybe that was actually every other year in history and not this year. There will be a lot of adjectives used in the coming years to describe 2020. Normal is not one that will likely make many lists. Just a few things to ponder?

The Eligibility Question
If there is no season and players are granted another year of eligibility, how does that really help since you will essentially have a surfeit of players with 5 years of players at once. You can still only have 13 players. Even if they expand to 15 or 16 players, that does not mean more playing time. I guess the real benefit is just an extra year to get a degree. But I don’t see how it helps as far as athletics.

The NCAA Question
Is this Covid thing the end of the NCAA? I haven’t followed in great detail but it sure seems like they have thrown up their hands and abdicated leadership. Maybe that is their only option. But it seems like the NCAA was already leaking and listing. This may be enough to put them under.

The We Are United Question
A players union for college athletes. Sounds like just what we need to improve college sports. Clearly the ground is fertile for something like this. I haven’t thought through it much but my initial reaction is purely from my “old-fashioned” mores’ of hard work, humility and appreciation. I have known a few college athletes and I can say that their lifestyle is college was radically different than mine. I loved my college experience but it was a bit less luxurious than any athlete I know. But I digress. Whatever comes comes. I’m not going to get too twisted off about anything over which I have no control. But I may control how much time, talent and treasure I’m willing to spend on my fandom.

The How to Beat Baylor Question
Baylor is set for a banner year. ESPN has them as the top team in the land preseason. Everyone is returning and they have some good new recruits. They have also landed some spiced recruits for 2021. How did that happen? In fact, the Big 12 is projected with 5 of the top 15 teams in the land. It will be a real dog fight for the conference this season.

The NOA Question
Everything I have read about the timeline of the NCAA infraction resolution seems to indicate it will be this coming spring. It is a real crapshoot given this new process. It seems there are opinions all across the board as to the likely outcome. The few conversations I have had with some locals (here in OKC) who are Mostly fans of other Big 12 schools, are sympathetic to KU and think this is a joke. They seem to understand that KU has been accused of something that every school does. So they see it as a very dangerous case that if KU is penalized, there will be armegeddon in college basketball.

The Devonte’ Question
The MIP lest is put for the NBA and Devonte’ is not on it. Luka Doncic is on it. When interviewed, he said they should take his name off and put Devonte’s on. I don’t have much confidence in anything the NBA does.

The Frank Mason III Question
Will Frank make it in the NBA? Frank seems like an ultra super hard worker with a 1st class attitude. Easy to root for. I hope he finds a way have a long career. Good guys should win occasionally.

The Dajuan Harris Question
Seems like we really need the last schollie for next year to be a PG. is Dajuan Harris seriously the KU PG of the future. If we do not recruit a PG then he will apparently be the PG for 2021-22. I know absolutely nothing about him but given the importance of that position, it seems we really need to land Hunter Sallis.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, sasnak, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, boulderhawk, porthawk, hoshi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.