Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

How do you...

• LasJayhawk
  • LasJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #1815 by LasJayhawk
... Air ball a 12 inch shot? Landon dunk the ball

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 3 months ago #1824 by hairyhawk
agree wholeheartedly. I have not seen touch like that since Uwe Blab was in the NBA.

More
8 years 3 months ago #1849 by Senex68
Lucas appears to be a nice fellow, but he is without question the worst offensive player I've ever seen at KU. How can a 6'10" guy not only miss a shot from point blank range, but miss the rim too? And can't he dunk? It's almost as though he's afraid to bruise the rim. Utterly amazing to me. Just once I'd like to see him throw it down. And we all know that that lowlight was, perhaps, the last time we'll see him in meaningful minutes unless foul trouble strikes one of the other bigs. I also am amazed that Hunter never got back onto the court after his foul trouble. I though he played quite well for the time he was in the game. Very, very odd season for our bigs.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 3 months ago #1850 by mtnMan
...Landon was HUGE in the critical parts of the Oklahoma game. But nice to see that Bragg and Diallo are coming along nicely. Diallo seems to be improving rapidly on knowing where he should be on offense. Disappointing that on most of his blocks, TCU got the ball and scored on their 2nd chance. But if those guys continue to improve there will be no doubt about the rotation of the bigs.

More
8 years 3 months ago #1853 by Arethusa1
Maybe HCBS should take a page from Eddie Sutton's practice book and practice in pads.

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 3 months ago #1856 by Sieverling
Welcome to the board.

Hic manebimus optime

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #1857 by Illhawk
I like it that I sit down to watch the game without knowing , other than Perry getting at least 28-32 minutes if he avoids foul , which of our bigs will play.
It seems HCBS doesn't know at tip-off either. There are clues based on match-up , but a lot of it seems to be who plays well, and avoids fouls.
This has to make us hard to prepare for.
The progress of the freshmen may well mean that the KU team an opponent faces in January might not have that much in common, in the paint, with KU on the return game in late February.
This might be the last box score this season where all twelve scholarship players take a shot. But they all seem likely to have their moments.
Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Illhawk. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling

More
8 years 3 months ago #1859 by Bayhawk
Interesting point there,

We'll know soon enough,
RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 3 months ago #1861 by murphyslaw
Ditto. Glad you're here

More
8 years 3 months ago #1872 by AZhawk87
Beyond making a rule that Lucas should never be allowed to shoot the ball again - ever - yesterday showed to me that we have to live or die with Bragg and Diallo. I believe I noted at the 12 minute mark of the first half that we had exactly ZERO points from the Lucas/Mickelson/Traylor combo. I may have missed a point somewhere, but that trio gets nothing but a put back bucket from time to time. There is zero offensive threat from any of them in our normal offensive schemes. No defense has to guard them, and that puts pressure on the other four players.

Diallo and Bragg are raw, but they bring energy and a noticeably higher level of confidence on the offensive end. Whatever mistakes they make from being freshmen is secondary to putting pressure on the opposing defense to guard them, which might just make getting our guards some open looks a little easier - noting that Self will never in his lifetime run a screen to get Greene or Svi an open three.

Yesterday has to be the turning point for Bragg and Diallo.

More
8 years 3 months ago #1874 by Bayhawk
Word. www2.kusports.com/news/mens_basketball/

And Diallo has that sweet midrange jumper,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 3 months ago #1876 by AZhawk87
In the KU Sports articles, the TCU players noted what an impact Bragg and Diallo had on the defensive end. They eliminated TCU from getting comfortable close to the rim. Very telling comments given the last couple games where opponents got the to rim consistently and WVU lived off of offensive rebounds.

And the article stated that Lucas/Mickelson/Traylor combined for THREE defensive rebounds in 18 minutes. All three guys work hard and I like them, but with extended playing time they've shown the limits of their productiveness. Very nice role players off the bench, but liabilities with any extended playing time.

More
8 years 3 months ago #1883 by porthawk
HCBS's quote seems to mirror what many of us are saying on the board. We'll see if Cheick gets those increased minutes.

We’ve got to get him more minutes. He’s earned them, but it also would definitely help our team down the stretch if he is a little more seasoned player. There’s no way he can get there unless we give him a chance to work through some things.

www2.kusports.com/news/2016/jan/16/willi...xpa/?mens_basketball

More
8 years 3 months ago #1892 by NotOstertag
I just love watching Diallo block shots.

As Bragg and Diallo gain experience, I think Landon will be the first to feel the impact.

Traylor's eye is banged up and swollen shut after Diallo laid him out yesterday. Probably be ok in few days, but it's good that we've got some depth to fall back on.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot