Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Former Oklahoma State Coach, Eddie Sutton passes...

• bklynhawk
  • bklynhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 9 months ago #25572 by bklynhawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 9 months ago #25574 by HawkErrant
Sad news for college basketball and everyone who knew him.

RIP Coach Sutton

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #25579 by CorpusJayhawk
I very briefly met Sutton many years ago and obviously this story is anecdotal, but nonetheless, in the few minutes of the exchange he was extremely nice, personable and gracious. I met OU football coach Barry Switzer under very similar circumstances and he was, well let's just say, not as gracious or nice. Speaking of meeting coaches, on my first trip to London, I was on the same airplane as Norm Stewart. When we were standing at the baggage claim waiting for our bags he ended up walking up and standing right beside me. Of course, I had my KU gear on in full display. I couldn't resist turning to him and saying "Hey Coach". He saw me sartorially resplendent in my KU gear and smiled and we ended up talking for 5 minutes or so while we were waiting for our bags to show. He was quite witty and very engaging and in a joking backhanded manner, quite complimentary of things Jayhawk. As an example, when he asked me where I lived, he said "do you live in that state?" pointing to the Jayhawk on my shirt. He joked about never actually saying the word "Kansas". I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation and found him to be quite delightful with a very cutting and sharp sense of humor.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by CorpusJayhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk