Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

NCAA recommending the new Independent Resolution Process

More
3 years 9 months ago #25554 by Kong
www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...UUXc66V04klcN1vXUVvc

I don't think we would be in favor of this as it removes the appeals process.

From the article:

"The Infractions Referral Committee must decide whether to approve or reject the request to refer the Kansas case to the independent process, and then the Complex Case Unit, comprised of external investigators and advocates with no school or conference affiliations as well as one member of the NCAA enforcement staff, would assess whether further investigation of the facts in the case is needed.

An independent resolution panel (IRP), consisting of five independent members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds, would hear the case and decide what penalties the Jayhawks would face. The IRP's decision is final, and there are no appeals."

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #25555 by Kong
Another article on it

www2.kusports.com/news/2020/may/20/ncaa-...s-allegations-case-/

From the article:
"But there is a big difference between this new process and the more traditional one: Decisions made by the IARP are final and cannot be appealed.

That could be a big deal for KU and its basketball program because the NCAA has alleged that KU’s violations are so serious that penalties could include postseason bans, vacating wins and conference championships, as well as a long-term suspension of head coach Bill Self.

But the process also may be viewed favorably by KU officials. As its name suggests, the panel is made up of people with no direct ties to the NCAA. That is in contrast to the traditional process that uses an infractions committee that could include athletic directors, university presidents, former coaches and other administrators who are from fellow NCAA schools and conferences."

EDIT: This article also has much more information on the process and participants

Visualize Whirled Peas
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Kong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
3 years 9 months ago #25556 by NotOstertag
Not a fan of the "no appeals" part of this. If it were a court case, you could appeal all the way up to the supreme court. I have so little trust for the NCAA that this simply smells like a way for them to get a quick decision, screw KU and not allow for an appeal.

I say stick with the old process, and then go on offense: How about a class-action suit against the NCAA for selective enforcement? I also question the legality of the quid-pro-quo attempt by the NCAA to make Silvio's release contingent upon KU calling Grassiola a booster when KU and Grassiola both dispute the label.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
3 years 9 months ago #25594 by RobS
While browsing the discussion board of a rival program, I came across a link purporting to show the IRP panel members for KU's case. Here's the link: iarpcc.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/IA+Oversight+Roster_Final.pdf

I did not try to verify if this is correct but if it is, KU would be foolish to go this route. A Dukie and a Kentucky Wildcat?

On the other hand, do the appeals really matter? Anyone have any stats on how often appeals of the normal process are successful? After they drag on for a year or 4.

Mongo just pawn in game of life.