Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Zion Williamson Dook allegations?

• rainyhawk
  • rainyhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #25534 by rainyhawk
So I’m not fully cognizant of the details of the NCAAs case against us. Just the overview. But I’m wondering how this might impact it since we know they won’t want to do anything with dook.

< www.golfdigest.com/story/the-new-zion-wi...-the-ncaas-nightmare >

<
>
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, wardhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 11 months ago #25536 by NotOstertag
As I've said elsewhere, I don't think the NCAA can go after us without Duke getting sucked in.

The NCAA has 3 major violations that they're trying to pin on us:
1.) DeSousa: guardians took money, he knew nothing, and he's served his time.
2.) Preston: once it became evident that there was a problem, he never played. He may have been ineligible, but if he never played and left the program, it shows KU policed themsleves.
3.) Curtis Townsend wiretap: Townsend was caught on a wiretap talking to a rep for Zion saying that in order to get Zion the family wanted money and employment. KU didn't land Zion so it would stand to reason that we didn't offer money and jobs.

Duke, however, DID land Zion. So it stands to reason that if the biggest "smoking gun" against KU is the wiretap, then a thorough investigation would include looking into ANY questionable money or sudden job changes that happened within Zion's family. Something tells me, however, that Coach K and the Dukies don't want anybody sniffing around that information.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, wardhawk

• rainyhawk
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #25537 by rainyhawk
Pretty much what I would assume as well. We know it would kill them to go,after dook and K so it will be interesting. I still dont fully understand the NCAAs position in KU given the facts we have seen. And I can’t imagine anyone thought adidas was the only shoe company in this game...seems the NCAA should have been investigating that as well if they really wanted to clean up. Fools.

More
3 years 11 months ago #25538 by hairyhawk
I think the NCAA is not interested in clean up but damage control. Since all of this became public at the trial they are looking to make KU the fall guy. We are prominent enough in basketball to be a statement but not so big they don't dare touch us like a Duke or UNC. I think the NCAA sees it as a PR move. They just want all the other schools to stay quiet. I think that is the way the NCAA is trying to play this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wardhawk

• rainyhawk
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #25539 by rainyhawk
I would agree with that assessment...other than I would have thought we were a pretty prominent Program with a lot of history. But I’ve always thought the NCAA didn’t like us much for some reason.

More
3 years 11 months ago #25541 by NotOstertag
Two good theories, Harry and Rainy. So I'm going with "all of the above".

The NCAA doesn't like us, nor do they like UNC or Dook. Nevertheless, Dook is the crown jewel, and the ACC is ESPN's favorite, so they'll go along with the charade that nothing from North Carolina smells funny, and KU is the easy target.

Like I've said in the past: Dook and UNC can have crappy years and in my local sporting goods stores, there's always merchandise with their logos readily available here in the NYC area. KU has to win a NC for me to find any Jayhawk logo'ed apparel locally and then it's still limited. Bottom line, the Dook and UNC "brands" are stronger. Can't do anything to hurt that gravy train.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
3 years 11 months ago #25543 by hairyhawk
The merchandising example is exactly what I mean. We are just big enough that Governor Lepetomane can get a hurrrumpf from everyone.

Give me a hurrumpf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
3 years 11 months ago #25544 by Bayhawk
It NEVER gets old!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
3 years 11 months ago #25546 by NotOstertag
Hurrumpf!

More
3 years 9 months ago #25661 by Governors
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, boulderhawk