Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Silence is Not Golden

• Senex68
  • Senex68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #1796 by Senex68
We no longer have an anecdotal sample. The sample size is large enough to draw some credible conclusions, the primary one of which is that the Board is not working. Post after post attracts a minimum number of responses, regardless of the topic. Why? Are we so jaded that actually posting a response in an interesting thread is just not worth it? Are the posts just too inane and irrelevant? What IS going on? For years we've been here, and in the old days threads would have 20, 30 or more posts. Now, a post that generates 2 or 3 responses is 'successful.' What is going on? Or, to put it another way, what is going on?

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 3 months ago #1797 by NotOstertag
The first question would be how many people were registered on the old board, and how many are registered now. If there's only a handful of people registered, we won't see much action.

One suggestion: If Dave has the old list of registered users, maybe it's worth sending out an email blast to them to let them know we're here and want them back. If that doesn't work, it might require that we go out and recruit new blood...but that carries its own risks.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 3 months ago #1799 by murphyslaw
The present board is relatively new. It may take folks more time to adjust to the new format.

I don't post as often as in the past, but that will change as the season progresses.

Although "Silence is Not Golden," as you say, "Patience is Still a Virtue."

• Senex68
  • Senex68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #1800 by Senex68
We have 131 registered users. Plenty of those. Most posts get plenty of views. But none, NONE, get plenty of responses. Either we have become the blandest of posters, providing no reason to respond, or our users have nothing to add. The latter would infer that we are so profound in our posts that responding is ..............well, unnecessary. I think not. Here we are halfway through a season where we already have been ranked #1, played in one of the most amazing games I've ever seen, and have huge areas of potential disputatiousness with Self and his sometimes incomprehensible decisions, and yet there is little to say. Patience is not the issue. With a little patience, we may miss the entire season. I find it very depressing.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 3 months ago #1802 by Illhawk
My father often said, "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all." Lately I haven't had much to say that advances any of the discussions.

I will add I really did enjoy the Bill James piece. One of my friends in Lawrence used to do Rotisserie baseball in a league with Bill ( he never mentioned who won) and their seats in Allen were fairly close for a while. I recall seeing him there.

His comments on the refs mirrored my emotions. I hadn't noticed that no fouls were called on the Hawks toward the end. His thoughts on Perry seemed slightly harsh. To mePerry is the perfect "face of the program ", nice local kid, good student solid player. Wayne, since Korea, has been the best player. Frank remains my favorite. The best pro prospect, long term , is one of the other guys.

More
8 years 3 months ago #1803 by murphyslaw
Frankly, I find your negativity regarding the board and Coach Self depressing. Negativity rarely promotes anything but more negativity, in my opinion.

Board participation will either improve or not. Coach Self will either make decisions of which we approve or not. As individual KU basketball fans, we will either support the board AND Coach Self or not.

Personally, I hope for unity in our passion for the Jayhawks, gratitude for the board--which has been presented free to us--and ultimate belief in Coach Self's abilities.

My 2 cents, FWIW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, Bayhawk

More
8 years 3 months ago #1804 by Hawknmo
Its possible Murphy that your response is exactly what Senex is looking for....discourse. We used to have lengthy interactions over the smallest of issues including HCBS's decision making. Now it seems someone makes a statement, everyone views it but no one responds. The effort to respond, new format or not, is not that much more than viewing. But it just doesn't seem to be happening as much. I also find it hard to believe the unresponsiveness of our group so far. I do have some hope that as we get further into the Big 12 season it will pick up but I think we can all agree posting activity is way down. Not sure I agree Senex is being a "Negative Nelly" just yet.

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

More
8 years 3 months ago #1805 by hairyhawk
I know I lurk at work at times but have not been able to post while there. I have had some browser problems that have made posting more difficult. For example this post. I am pretty much a direct person, yet I can't type into the response on the web site without having more errors than my bad typing. I end up having to type my response in a text editor and then copying and posting into the website. That is just not natural for me.