Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Have you seen the CBS Sports ad?

• sasnak
  • sasnak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
4 years 6 days ago #25456 by sasnak
It is a spot that talks about how we will all get together when this is over etc and they show different scenes from sports. Lo and behold there is a shot of the old barn empty with the court lights on the Jayhawk in midcourt. It caught me by surprise and made me catch my breath

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 days ago #25457 by Wheatstate Gal
Yep....sure caught my eye!!!

More
4 years 6 days ago #25458 by Bayhawk
I did summer school registration for HDFL back in the early '80s (punch cards! Link ) While folks were setting up on the upper levels in the wee hours of the morning, I meandered down to the court and stood on the Kansas outline with the big "K" in the middle, all alone; an eerie feeling . . . . I didn't know I was in the middle of the "House that Wilt built" or who Phog Allan was (or why I should beware!) or who James Naismith was. A just knew it was something special.

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 6 days ago #25459 by HawkErrant
I was a hopeful in the AFH crowd trying to get the classes (punch cards!) I needed in order to graduate Spring 1982, Bay.

Left the Army (last assignment Munson Army Community Hospital, Fort Leavenworth) in 1980 to finish my undergraduate degree at KU. Not being interested in much except getting my degree, AFH and KUMBB history was not on my radar screen. But yeah, in my experience — even then — being down there on the floor was a moving experience — even in the years before the “Pay Heed All Who Enter... Beware of The PHOG!” banner.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
4 years 6 days ago #25460 by Kong
Punch Cards... I remember them well. Having a very common name, I was constantly told that here was a hold on my cards and I would have to trek to some part of the University to have them check it out and clear me.

For those that do not remember. Hoch to get your initial set of cards. Then if there was a hold you went to Strong or the Union or somewhere else to pay and clear them. Then you went through the catalog and filled out the classes you wanted got your adviser's approval. From there, according to the catalog and your last name you were scheduled to enter the arena to do battle with folks sitting at tables who would pull the cards for you or tell you that the cards were on hold for later periods. You just kept walking around Allen's upper level to pull cards to complete your registration.

Crazy. It all seemed normal and seemed to work.

After 4 years undergrad and two years grad school I finally had the entire university alerted to the person who 10 years before had not paid his parking ticket. So two semesters, and two semesters only, I was able to go through the process without a hold on my cards. That was a glorious year!

Hey Bay. When were you in HDFL? My ex worked there for a bit and am just curious if we may have crossed paths.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
4 years 6 days ago - 4 years 6 days ago #25462 by Bayhawk
We met a few times at various HDFL events! I remember you fondly. I'm almost sure you sat next to me at a showing of Conan the Barbarian (Schwarzenegger) when I was tripping on LSD. If memory serves -- increasingly rare nowadays -- I busted out laughing at one point in the movie when everyone else was silent. You looked at me knowingly and said, "You were kind of alone on that one." :unsure:

If it was you (it's all a purple haze now), thanks. ;) And if it wasn't, I still remember you at various HDFL picnics and parties.

BTW: I turned out alright after all! :P

RCJHFL

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
Last Edit: 4 years 6 days ago by Bayhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kong

More
4 years 6 days ago #25463 by CorpusJayhawk
Speaking of parking tickets, one of the great coups of my college career was my parking deal. I'm sure it is as bad today as it was in the 70's with parking. A parking pass was like a gold mine. So as a nobody, i was unable to any pther than the typical blue parking (or whatever the color) that allowed only the major lots. So I knocked on the door of the little old lady who lived at 1501 Crescent Rd. which is on the corner of Crescent Rd. and Naismith Dr., directly behind Learned Hall, the Engineering building. I promised that I would completely shovel her driveway whenever it snowed if she would allow me to park in here driveway. It was about 20 steps from the base of her driveway to the side entrance of Learned Hall. It was the deal of the century. I ended up doing some lawn work for her and some other stuff just to be a nice guy because she was a very sweet lady.

While I'm reminiscing about beating the system in college, I was on the board of SPE (society of petroleum engineers) all three years I was in engineering school. The SPE had a very unique situation with our soda machine. KU University vending had a tight-fisted control of all vending machines all over campus. But because we had a grandfathered arrangement and since the vending machine was a major source of revenue fundraising for the SPE we were allowed to keep control of our vending machine. We were, however, required to purchase all of our soda through KU Vending. But since we controlled the machine, we rewired one of the buttons to bypass the coin mechanism and installed a delay switch to that button so you could hold it for 5 seconds and it would dispense without any money. But we did not put soda in that slot, we put beer. I don't recall which beer it was, but it was the only beer can that was the same size and shape as a soda can. I want to say Schlitz, but I am not sure. In any case, the graduate students paid for the beer and in return we could drink it if we wanted. The vending machine was public access but located in the graduate student lounge. Amazingly, we were never caught in the three years I was associated with it. One of the super fun college hi-jinks that made college so fun. Unfortunately I was not a beer drinker, but being buddies with all the graduate students had other perks for an engineering student that worked a 40 hour per week full-time job. I had built in tutors whenever I was desperate.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
4 years 6 days ago #25464 by LKF_HAWK
Hope all the fellow RCB’ers are safe and healthy. We are good in Chi town, a bit stir crazy with the little one and badly in need of a haircut, but healthy.

Saw the ad, AFH and #15 from KC, was great to see

More
4 years 6 days ago #25465 by Kong
Ha. HDFL did have some great picnics and parties.

I can neither deny nor confirm any participation in those events, but I am sitting here smiling.

One more bit about the cards. If you were an early entrant into the Field House and were somehow able to get two cards signed by an adviser, you could fill out the other card with classes for people who had a second day or late time scheduled and they may even pay you to do so. Not saying I knew anyone who did that, but...

Corpus, The parking was a mess then and I am sure it still is. I worked at the Union in the business office cashing checks and running change to all the places with machines (dorms and the like). Carrying cash to the facilities and taking change from them in return. We used the KU car for that purpose. But I was able to get rides to various parts of campus often so I don't think I ever paid for parking while there. It wasn't as guaranteed as your spot, but I remember being really thankful for it when I could avail myself of the services.

And some day I will tell you how I saw nearly every KU basketball and football game for free.

Visualize Whirled Peas

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 6 days ago - 4 years 6 days ago #25466 by HawkErrant
Lots for KU and Chiefs fans to appreciate.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 4 years 6 days ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kong, Bayhawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1