Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU's all-time starting 5 according to Paul Pierce

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 week ago #25433 by porthawk
He "unveils" the names on this video. Interesting selections, but really can't argue with it. :)

www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/28950667

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 1 week ago #25434 by CorpusJayhawk
I love the 5 but you can surely argue with it. Mario hit THE SHOT and Jo Jo missed THE SHOT. But other than that, Jo Jo is, in my mind, a clear superior choice over Mario. I absolutely love Mario but in my objective judgement, I'm not sure he makes the top 2 or even three or eve 4 for PG. Jo Jo was a standout star in college and the NBA. And if you want a true PG, Aaron Miles has to be the guy. With Wilt, Danny and Paul, I don't need a ton of scoring from the PG. Or what about Darnell Valentine? He has to make the short list of PG. Or Kirk Hinrich? Or Jacque Vaughn? I'd probably have all of those guys ahead of Mario.

Absolutely no arguing Wilt. Best player to ever wear a KU uniform. Danny, probably no argument. Can't think of anyone I'd put ahead of him. Already talked about Mario. That leaves Joel and Paul. Hard to argue a whole lot against either. But if I were picking and not worried about the appeal for younger folks who might judge my picks, in other words, if I'm going with who I think the true knowledgeable people in the know would tend to nod in approval, I would have to seriously consider Clyde Lovellette ahead of Joel.

As for Paul, hard to argue too much against him either. But there are a few guys that need to be in the discussion. For starters, Kirk Hinrich could fill that role as well. Although I would personally have Paul ahead of Kirk for that wing role. But two guys that would have to get serious discussion are Wayne Hightower and Bill Bridges. I'd include Tony Guy in that discussion too as well as Brandon Rush. I'd probably end up with Pierce after the discussion though.

My five are;

1. Wilt Chamberlain (edging out every human on the planet)
2. Danny Manning (edging out pretty much everybody)
3. Clyde Lovellette (edging out Joel Embiid and Walt Wesley)
4. Paul Pierce (edging out Bill Bridges)
5. Jo Jo White (edging out Darnell Valentine)

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 1 week ago #25436 by HawkErrant

CorpusJayhawk wrote: My five are;

1. Wilt Chamberlain (edging out every human on the planet)
2. Danny Manning (edging out pretty much everybody)
3. Clyde Lovellette (edging out Joel Embiid and Walt Wesley)
4. Paul Pierce (edging out Bill Bridges)
5. Jo Jo White (edging out Darnell Valentine)

100% concur.

I'd go even further, though.

For me, the locks are:
1. Wilt (what you wrote)
2. Danny (Ditto!)
3. Clyde (still the ONLY player, not just KU player, to lead the nation in scoring and his team to the NCAA title in the same season.)
4. Jo Jo (NOBODY else comes close, in my opinion... and remember, Jo Jo insists that his foot was NOT on the line, and apocryphal tales from those supposedly there agree that his heel never came down. Oh, for instant replay back then!)

For me those first 4 are no question head and shoulders above everyone else.

The #5 spot is where I always find competition for my final vote.

I go with Paul -- despite my memories of his early loose handle -- because he was simply better than anyone else I ever saw myself except for Danny.

Bill Bridges would have been a great alternate, though, based on what I've read. And And Walt Wesley and Joel Embid would be shining stars on my second team. Throw in Darnell (not really a fan, it's a gut thing, but I cannot deny his status) and Kirk Hinrich or Mario (I think Kirk was a steadier player, but there's no denying Mario is as clutch as it gets) and I'd have a great 2nd team.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
4 years 1 week ago #25440 by Illhawk
Since it says starting line-up and not just 5 best players I am going to try to follow that.
Two other thoughts does NBA performance count, if it did , it would be hard to include Danny. And what era are we in ? The three big era or the 4 guard era?
I am grading on the last or best season at KU
Wilt , Danny, Paul, Jo Jo and Frank Mason