Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

2008 NC Game on CBS Sunday Noon - complete list!

• JRhawk
  • JRhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 week ago #25320 by JRhawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 days ago #25334 by Wheatstate Gal
Thanks, JR.

Watching the recording I made now. Forgot Billy PACCer was an announcer AND Ed Hightower was a referee.

Gonna be a fun 2 hr walk down memory lane. And the ending is GREAT!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk

More
4 years 6 days ago #25335 by rainyhawk
Just into overtime on my recording. Have to say, even knowing how it ends, those last 2-3 minutes of regulation time are still nail biting! Found myself yelling at the screen. I remember the actual game, for the last 2 minutes I had fingers crossed and just kept saying Rock chalk jayhawk KU over and over. Seemed to work!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

• JRhawk
  • JRhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 days ago #25337 by JRhawk
I watched it on CBS this morning - of course they managed to extend their news show for 30 minutes, so missed the first 15 minutes of game. I agree about even knowing the ending, looked very grim. With about 2 minutes left, I remember turning to my granddaughter and her mom and saying it was a good ride - then the miracle happened. Probably my one and only Final Four in person. Had great hopes for this year, but not to be.
Will get out my recorded version and watch it again Apr 6th. Will even watch the semifinal game for good measure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
4 years 5 days ago #25341 by Kong
I was at a watch party/bar with a group of KU fans. They started leaving with a bit still left in regulation. As they walked by me, I kept telling they would be sorry. There was just something about that team that I felt we would win that game. I even turned to someone and said watch collins and Chalmers they are special. And they really came through!

Only felt that way about a few teams. 86 was one that I thought was the best and would find a way to win. this year is another one that I just felt they were the team that could find away to win no matter what.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
4 years 5 days ago #25344 by Bayhawk
Kong,

I was up in the man-Jayhawk cave alone, as Cal Bear wife knows not to be around me during such a stressful event, and I left the TV on but went downstairs to pour a stiff one to numb the impending pain. On the way back up the stairs I told Cal Bear wife, "Well, it was a great season." We all know the rest. I had to see Mario's miracle shot on replay. Doh! :pinch:

Learned my lesson though. I was with the team to the bitter end for the home game against West Virginia when we were down nine with about two minutes to go. Never, never, never again will I give up on our beloved Jayhawks. Where there's a will (Manning, Chalmers, BIFM), there's a way (Self). ;)

RCJHGKU!

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
4 years 5 days ago #25345 by CorpusJayhawk
Bay,

I was watching the game with my son, who had only recently returned from a tour of duty in Iraq, in the bar portion of a local restaurant. Most of the crowd was there for the duration but were generally agnostic. Since I was clearly a Jayhawk fan (hat, shirt, pants, socks and vocal chords) the room tended to be a little Jayhawk leaning in simpatico. At the 2:12 mark when the Jayhawks went down by 9, I stood and told my son we were leaving. I simply could not bear the loss in crowd of strangers, regardless of simpatico. My son grabbed me and told me to sit down. He had the audacity to repeat my own words back at me. "Like you always said dad, these are the Jayhawks, they are never out until the buzzer sounds." Reluctantly I sat back down. Boy am I glad I did. On the other side of that ledger, I was vacationing with friends at a resort hotel when the Jayhawks were playing the last game against Mizzou in 2012. So of course we had to go to the bar in the hotel to watch the game. When the Jayhawks went down by 19 shortly into the 2nd half, my friend, an avid Sooner fan could not contain himself. He was doing the subtle "Man, it is sure looking tough for your Jayhawks" or "I don't know if they can come back from this." I could not handle that. That was the proverbial straw that made me realize no matter how much I may like or love someone, when I am watching the Jayhawks, there can be zero tolerance for anything less that 100% commitment on the part of my co-watchers. Thus, generally watch with my wife who has become a 100% committed fan just because she loves me and knows my commitment requirement.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, porthawk