Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

What if? Some of the possible storylines we'll miss in the 2020 NCAA tournament

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #25301 by porthawk
So there's this article from Medcalf. See my bold below. Does anyone know what he is referring to? I don't recall hearing anything like this over the past few weeks...even months...or for the whole season for that matter.

When a coach wins a second national title -- a club that currently features just 15 names, including some of the all-time icons of the game -- he's elevated among college basketball fans. Self had the best team in America this season: Kansas was the clear favorite to win the national championship entering the NCAA tournament with Udoka Azubuike and Devon Dotson, a pair of potential All-Americans, leading the way. Self recently told ESPN he doesn't intend to coach past the age of 60 (he's 57), and he's also in the middle of NCAA drama stemming from the FBI's investigation of college basketball that could result in penalties for the veteran coach. All of which means it's difficult to know how many additional opportunities Self will have to win another national title.

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...2020-ncaa-tournament
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by porthawk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 1 month ago #25302 by NotOstertag
I tend to believe HCBS more than the guys who report about him. I've heard Self say things about knowing when to hang it up, but nothing as definitive as "I'm quitting at 60". Now, is it possible that Self, at some point, answered the question of, "when will you run out of gas to keep doing this?" and he could have replied "60", but if that question was asked 7 or 8 years ago then how relevant is it today?

Self doesn't come off as somebody who would just wake up one morning and phone in is resignation. I'd predict that when he DOES depart someday none of us will be surprised: he'll have had his head handed to him by the NCAA, there'd have been some kind of new administration put in place that he was battling with, or there'd be some kind of ongoing dissatisfaction that we'd all be seeing. I don't see any of that right now.

Kind of like Huckleberry Hound over at UNC. After the season he's had, I could see him retiring back to Mayberry.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
4 years 1 month ago #25304 by hoshi
I'm going to go on record that Coach K will resign in the next 2-3 months. His reaction to the CV that Duke would not play before the official announcement said to me that he was scared of his health and wants to spend time protecting his family. My guess as to the probability that I am correct is 40/60.

I don't think BS will resign/retire any time soon (at or before turning 60). He seemed to undergo a renewal this last season.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 1 month ago #25308 by HawkErrant
First, once I saw “Medcalf” I knew I wouldn’t waste my time reading the sheist he calls writing.

Second, to my first point, I’ve read/heard nothing recently from any reputable source regarding Self leaving at 60. Now, in a 2017 interview with Matt Tait, Self did mention he did not see himself coaching as long as K or Williams, and that his contract ended the year he turned 59.
m.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2017/se...ch/?templates=mobile

Third, in an interview with the KC Star’s Sam Mellinger a year ago today on NBA rumors and the possibility of him leaving because any time soon, he said “No.”
www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-bl...rticle228080074.html

That was last year. And I think hoshi is right that Self’s outlook this year is even better than last.

Bottom line for the future: if the Byline reads “Medcalf” you can safely flush it with the rest of your waste products.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk, wardhawk, porthawk

More
4 years 1 month ago #25313 by hoshi
Welcome back from Down Under HE.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 1 month ago #25316 by HawkErrant
Thanks, hoshi!

Made our connection in LAX despite being 1.5 hours late departing Sydney due to the new health security requirements the plane had to go through before being cleared for boarding. Got back to Lawrence on Wednesday afternoon and immediately went into self-imposed quarantine. Anna and I both doing fine, but can't be too careful after being cooped up in flying tubes with a whole bunch of folks we know nada about for over 20 hours (that's not counting the wait times in terminals in Auckland, Sydney and LA). Especially concerned as Anna's mom lives with us, but we are isolated from her as well as she has her own "mom & pop" suite. Even so, we are hunkering down in our bedroom, and when we foray into the wilderness of the kitchen we are properly equipped with surgical masks and nitrile gloves to minimize our impact on that environment.

After months of prep we left on a KU Alumni organized trip for AUS&NZ back on Feb 26 when the COVID-19 pot was just starting to simmer here. Naturally the 16 of us in our group and our stalwart tour guide (she was great!) kept up on the top important stories of the day, namely KU Hoops and COVID-19. We were in our last week in New Zealand when the pot boiled over here and abroad. On Sunday NZ PM ordered all new arrivals in country, citizen or not, had to self quarantine for 14 days, effectively shutting down NZ's
largest export industry, directly employing one in eight New Zealanders and making up 5.8% of NZ GDP for the year ending March 2019. Australia followed suit on Monday, effectively shutting down it's tourism industry as well. These events, combined with the news from home, had us all wondering if we were going to be able to get back home at all in the immediate future. Seven of our 16 originally had plans to extend their stay beyond the tour, but in the end all but 3 of us flew back on Wednesday, 11 to LA and 2 to SF (directly from Auckland, the lucky stiffs... and they didn't have to be up at O-dark-30 to fly from Auckland to Sydney like the rest of us. Hopefully the remaining 3 will stay healthy and be able to come home in the near future when they choose to do so.

So, a trip that promised to be memorable in and of itself became even more unforgettable because of world events taking place as we sojourned.

Back to the OP, all said, the really big tournament storylines for Anna & me are the lost opportunities for our lads and all the other college players, especially the seniors and those across the country hoping to make a Cinderella run in 2020. Once in a lifetime opportunities for so many young men -- and women -- forever lost.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal