Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Big 12 Tourney Cancelled?

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 month ago #25239 by replayloungehawk
That's what I'm seeing. Anyone confirm this?

twitter.com/craigway1?ref_src=twsrc%5Ego...serp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 1 month ago #25240 by NotOstertag
KUSports is reporting the same. Ditto with lots of conf tourneys. Damn. Not sure this bodes well for the NCAAs.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
4 years 1 month ago #25242 by Slayer2384
B10, SEC, ACC, and AAC tournaments are all now cancelled. I'm sure all conference tourneys to be cancelled as a result. The conferences seem to be awarding the conference automatic bids to the regular season champs. It appears that it is a strong possibility of the national tournament will be cancelled in not postponed.

It brings up a hypothetical question - If the tournament is cancelled, will the NCAA recognize a national champion? If so, probably with a asterisk.

Would NCAA recognize using the polls criteria as was used in football prior to the playoff system?

Would KU accept such recognition since KU is presently a unanimous #1?

More
4 years 1 month ago #25243 by Illhawk
Last night it occurred to me that the NCAA announcing that they would play the games "in studios" could be step one ( to avoid unnecessary travel) before they pull the plug altogether.

Maybe the Helms Organization will vote a champion?

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 1 month ago #25244 by konza63
Ugh. This is very worrying for the Dance.

I was feeling pretty good about the tourney still going on after yesterday's move (playing the games with just a small contingent of families and staff). But then the NBA news hit last night, with an actual player infected, and I began to get nervous.

Now this. I'm definitely worried.

Dr. Anthony Fauci of the NIH is recognized as the leading national expert on infectious disease. In his congressional testimony yesterday, he recommended against large gatherings:

www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/fauci-recomm...-crowds-coronavirus/

That said, the governor of Washington (where the outbreak has been most lethal so far) limited large gathering bans to those over 250. I'm not sure why that's a magical number, but if it is, perhaps there is still hope for the NCAA tourney idea proffered yesterday. As a counterpoint, though, why would they have canceled the conference tourneys, which were to be played without fans?

:( :( :( :( :(

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
4 years 1 month ago #25245 by CorpusJayhawk
My gut judgment is that if they cancel the NCAA Tourney they will simply not have a National Champion 2020. Although they could declare a nominal national champion based on AP/Coaches Polls. Plus you could throw in that computers have KU as the overwhelming favorite. But since the National Champion is, by definition, the winner of the NCAA Tournament it seems that the PTB will have no champion in 2020. Obviously, for KU fans this is a big big blow since this is probably the best chance we have had to win it all since 2008. I hope if they do announce the suspension of the tourney they give a full explanation of these issues.

I do have an unrelated question or slightly related question. For the pro leagues, do the players get paid when the season is cancelled? Do the networks still have to pay the leagues? Obviously there are mountains of lawyers hashing out these issues based on the contracts and CBA's. Crazy world.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• konza63
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #25246 by konza63
I hope this is the ultimate decision. I know it won't be easy logistically, but honestly, it comes with the least amount of risk and yet still ensures that a full season of spirited competition is not flushed down the toilet.

For KU, which goes in as the top favorite to cut down the nets, this would clearly be the best possibility (if the option of playing in empty arenas won't suffice).

Fingers crossed that we'll still have a tourney - even if it's postponed (to once the pandemic danger zone has passed*) and it looks and feels a little different than what we're accustomed to - e.g., smaller venues or whatever.

The NCAA needs to think creatively here. Where there's a will, there's a way.

--

* Objectively speaking, we're nowhere near that stage yet - in fact, we're very much in the upward/exponential growth stage of the virus's spread here in the US. But with the proper amount of social distancing measures taken on a wide enough scale, the science of pandemics and epidemics holds that you can eventually "flatten the curve" of growth until it ultimately levels off and then declines. Time + aggressive proper measures that are taken across the system are the key.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by konza63.

• konza63
More
4 years 1 month ago #25248 by konza63
Jeff Goodman adds to the idea. I like this and hope the NCAA is paying attention.

More
4 years 1 month ago #25255 by NotOstertag
Here's an idea: quarantine the teams NOW. Make them take 14 days away from outside contact. That's what they're telling people who have been exposed.

14 days from today would be the beginning of the sweet 16, so start the tourney then (no crowds). They'd only lose a week, and any player who might develop symptoms would have done so by then.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
More
4 years 1 month ago #25256 by konza63
ESPN sources are reporting that the various schools - their coaches and players - want to see a postponement, not a cancellation. They are reportedly lobbying the NCAA in Indianapolis to consider this. They noted that the idea would be to pause the situation and see where things stood in a month. (That is, could it go on in a month?)

The unanimous view was the tourney definitely will not be held next week, and it’s only a matter of time for the NCAA to announce that.

More
4 years 1 month ago #25257 by Bayhawk
KFI AM out of LA reporting the dance is cancelled. :ohmy: No further details at this time. I don't know if it's true, I'm just passing along the info for the rumor mill. :(

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
More
4 years 1 month ago #25258 by konza63
Depressed. Bummed. Bewildered.

It could’ve been our year.

I feel so deeply sad for Dok. Words fail. Dotson.

I can’t even muster up a positive thought.