Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

History Lesson

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #1765 by NotOstertag
Nothing good to say about last night's game. We just got beat by a team who wanted it more.

This was, however, not unprecedented for this time of year. We've typically had total crap games that served as a wakeup call, and in the past 11 years, it hasn't kept us from winning the conference. To wit:

>Our second loss last year was a 25 point drubbing at Temple. We went on to win the conference despite losing @ISU, @OSU, @WVU, @KSU, and @OU.

>In 2013-14, we lost 3 out of 4 games between 11/29 - 12/10 and entered the conference race with 4 losses. We lost 4 more conference games, and were still conference champs.

>In 2012-13, we lost 3 straight (OSU, @TCU, @OU) and fell to 7-3 in the conference in February. We still won it.

I could go on, but history shows that the conference race has NEVER been decided by the 4th game in the league. We weren't favoured to win, and even if we'd played to our potential, it would have been a tough game. Let's see how WVU does this weekend at OU before we hit the panic button. This stuff happens, and we have a pretty good history of bouncing back.

To me, this loss accomplishes a couple of things:
1.) demonstrates to the young guys (and reminds the veterans) that not only does every game matter, but every possession matters. Anything less than 100% effort can bite you in the butt.
2.) Points out some obvious weaknesses: can't let guys drive into the lane, can't rely on Perry to body up on more physical guys, everyone must protect the ball better, etc. Lots of good material for HCBS and the staff to emphasize at the next practices.

One thing that I think will help us moving forward is getting Bragg and Diallo online. Bragg played some significant minutes last night, as did Diallo (could say the same about Svi as well). While they didn't accomplish much, I do think that over the next 3 weeks you'll see them increase their minutes as the finally figure out what's going on. In the end, both Diallo and Bragg are more athletically gifted than Mickleson and Lucas, but their skill level and execution is still coming along. As with "let down games" like this, we've seen this story before. sometime in the next month, either Bragg and/or Diallo will suddenly appear as more reliable contributors, and we'll get better.

We've got a really good team with plenty of room to get better.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling, Junkman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.